Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Cross Member For Cross Over?? Do I Need It

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by purple76pearl, Sep 15, 2003.

1. purple76pearl

purple76pearl 1/2 ton status

Read This
    ok so i have been trying to do cross over for a long time, i finally got all the stuff i needed for it a week are so ago, and then i re-read this article, im flustered for a few reasons
    #1:
    do i really need a new cross member?
    #2 the passenger side arm i got, isnt milled to any degree of an angle, and my hyme joint binds up, grrr i tried to space it out will a bushing spacer, and when i go to flex it just addes more pressure on the joint, not happy about that
    im not liking the fact that i use bolts instead of studs on my knuckle
    why am i spending all this time on half ton /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif lol
    ok for real though
    do i need a new cross member?

2. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I installed a bent draglink to clear the crossmember; this will also help solve your heim binding issue.

3. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

i think you only need the crosssmember if your drag link hits it...

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

With a 6" it may not be necessary.

5. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Well, you can read this: Its how I did mine on my D44.
    I think if you use the arm that comes off the top of the knuckle like they do in the article, you will have to redo the crossmember cause the tie rod will be too high. I didnt do that so I didnt have to touch my crossmember.

Mike
    crossover thread

6. purple76pearl

purple76pearl 1/2 ton status

ok maybe this is a dumb question, but how would i get a measurement for a bent drag link? and where would i get a good one?
    also
    i saw a truck with cross over and a bent drag link, and he still ran his sway bar, almost everyone i have talked to said their sway bar got thrown in a pile when they put cross over on? whats some opinions on that

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    do i really need a new cross member?

[/ QUOTE ]

no.

[ QUOTE ]
    #2 the passenger side arm i got, isn't milled to any degree of an angle, and my hyme joint binds up, grrr i tried to space it out will a bushing spacer, and when i go to flex it just addes more pressure on the joint, not happy about that

[/ QUOTE ]

as other peeps mentioned, a bent drag should help.. if that doesnt do it for ya, you could always just run a ORD arm.

[ QUOTE ]
    im not liking the fact that i use bolts instead of studs on my knuckle

[/ QUOTE ]

My steering arm is bolted on... works fine for me.. I have all grade 8 bolts and lock washers on mine. Every once in a while I try to retorque the bolts and all the wrench will do is click click. dont think you have anything to worry about. I know if I had half ton axles I'd worry about them spontaneously blowing up more than I would a bolted on steering arm.

[ QUOTE ]
    #4 why am i spending all this time on half ton /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif lol

[/ QUOTE ]

i dunno... i figure you're just donating funds to the automotive aftermarket as some kinda charity thing.

[ QUOTE ]
    ok for real though do i need a new cross member?

[/ QUOTE ]

no.

j

8. chevyguybc

chevyguybc 1/2 ton status

bring this back, but hey wth..

I am soo going to be manufaturing crossmembers for chevy frames...( for now...) front, engine , mid, rear, grind your rivits off, drill out to 9/16, then bolt on the xmembers, fully tube, mig welded, laser cut peices, precise, bolt in no fuss

9. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

this thread is over 3 years old. wtf?

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You mean just like this one?

[​IMG]

http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/enginecrossmember.htm

Rene

11. chevyguybc

yes but cheaper, AND IN CANADA! no other company exists , i have jigs under way.... soon be able to pump these babies out

also doubler, np205 np203, auto etc tcase skidplates, etc

starting off small, thats all Ill say,

12. chevyguybc

also looking at the picture more, I was going to incorporate the factory sway bar, in stock verisions, and dropped versions for lifted trucks(like min) they will be same price.... I have lifted 52s up front, so i need a sway bar, trust me

she was scary on the way to harrison this past summer, but i did it all with stock style steering( dropped draglink and lifted steering arm)

it turned out great, all new parts

anyways... im sure these offroadxmembers will be a great upgrade to the ride of your truck offroad... i am also in the works of a stock body mount kit(polyurathane) and 1 inch kits... it should ride like new and my truck will be the post child, give me 5 months

also my mount was going to be boxed and completly stiff, you would bolt your mount to the xmember, making it bolt and go..

13. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Figure out a way to run a sway bar with crossover steering...that is an untapped market IMO.

As for "In Canada". Great for the few of us up here, but it'd suck as far as you having to ship this stuff to the US where the market is about 100 times larger. The shipping would jack the costs up making your prices not very competitive...unless you like working for minimum wage.

I'm not trying to crap all over your ideas, but I do recomend doing all the homework you need to first.

Rene