Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New D60 axle

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Lonnie, Nov 23, 2002.

1. Lonnie

Lonnie 1/2 ton status

Found a new-in-crate front d60 military axle 4.56 with trac-loc posi, rotors, calipers, tie rod etc. All it needs are the lockout hubs. Anyone have a good suggestion on its value? I know the going rate is approx $1k used, but what is a good guestimate of its value. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    Lonnie

2. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

a grand would be a great price if it's new!

You guys have lots of 60's in PA... most of the ones I find for sale are in PA... and the cost doesnt make shipping it here worth while...

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> If 4.56s are the gears that you want and the axle is actually brand new, it's worth an easy $1500. Figure the going rate on a used D60 in decent shape is $1000, and it will still need to be regeared and freshened up. That would run you at least $1500 if the axle is in decent shape to begin with. If all the bearings and seals needed to be replaced it would run you considerably more than that. As much as $2000 would still be an OK deal on a new 60.

Lonnie - are you buying or selling?</font color>

4. Lonnie

Lonnie 1/2 ton status

I am considering purchasing this axle. The asking price was $2k which I considered expensive, but, after looking at the typical 4.10 geared unit without posi, it started looking like a better deal. My findings have been basically dually units anyway, which again add to the cost to convert. As you stated, the cost for seals, bearings &amp; u-joints add up fast. I currently have a 1/2 ton (3" body, 4" susp.) with 3.73's &amp; 35x14.50 M/T's. Looking to sell off the axles &amp; susp., tires &amp; wheels. Planning to upgrade to a 6" spring &amp; run 38's. I figure the 4.56's will be decent with the ZZ502 engine.
    Lonnie

5. codeman

codeman Registered Member

I might be interested in buying the axles from you.

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> If you're in the market and have $2000 to kill on an axle and don't mind doing so, then go for it. It's not a rip off, but it is alot of money for an axle. The things are getting rare so the prices are only going up. Another couple years and we'll probably be seeing used ones going for $2000.</font color>

7. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I can hook you up with a D60 alot cheaper and I think I have access to a new one and a rebuilt one still. PM me for more info if you are interested.

8. Lonnie

Lonnie 1/2 ton status

Wayne,
    Thanks for the info. I may be able to work something out on a rebuilt unit.

Codeman,
    I am planning to sell the current axles, but I am still trying to determine an accurate value of these. They are 3.73 12 bolt rr. /10 bolt ft. both non-posi. They are sandblasted &amp; primed/painted with black Sikkens acrylic urethane &amp; have chrome covers. Show quality paint. They are complete with brakes, 4" steering arm etc.

Any ideas?

Not sure they would be your best option as shipping from PA to Nebraska would be rather expensive.

Lonnie