Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New D60 on the way here

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by earl87gta, Oct 18, 2003.

1. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

A friend of mine is brinnging me a D60 from new york He pulled it from a 84 chevy k30 it had a 350 and 4 speed manual trans from the factory when he looked to see what gears it had all it said on the sticker was standerd What size do you guys think they are and how do I tell from looking at the gears. I tried to do a serch for this but it would take days to go threw the posts with my slow dial up.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

absolute best way is to remove the diff cover and spin the gears. Look for some numbers stamped on the ring gear. Something like 41 and 11. Divide the smaller number from the larger and you get that 41/11 is 3.73s.

3. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    pull the diff cover, drail the fluid. Rotate the ring gear until you find a stamping on the side. There will be two sets of #'s, one is the # of teeth on the ring gear, one is the # of teeth on the pinion. Divide the large # (ring) by the smaller (pinion) for your overall gear ratio.

For example, a stamping of 41 10, when divided is a 4.10 gear ratio.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

beat you /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

5. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Could be 4.11. check the front cover and see if there is a small tag on one of the cover bolts. This will have the ratio on it.......

6. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

What kind of truck is he bringing it in? maybe i could intercept him, and check it for you...... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

7. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

Thanks Guys,
    I he said the tags are not on the axles so i was hoping that one of you knew what gm considered standered. I would like to see 4.56 but as long as they are 4.10 I will be happy. Now Ive got to spend all day monday taking them a part and cleaning them up. Im going to rebuild them before I put them in the truck. I think I got a good deal on them I got the d60 and the ff14 bolt for $ 800 I hope they dont need to much work. I geuss I will see tomarow after noon when they get here. Ive got to get them on my truck soon the company is down sizing and I may not have a job at the end of the year so I need to besure im ready to move if I cant find work here to hold me over. Is thier any thing I need to know abought putting them on my 72 blazer From what Ive read its a stright forward swap. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. mudjunkie 82

800.00 is a really good price for the pair!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

I got to look at them today no ware as good a shape as they made them sound when i bought them I dont think the 14bolt will be worth using the d60 needs alot of work I think its just joing to be a case I hope when I open it up tomarrow the inside doesnt look as bad as the out. I know its going to need all new brake parts locking hubs unless I can rebild whats thier the axle shafts are super rusty at the knuckles the rust is flaking off of them the knuckle its self is just as bad all the studs are rusted in to it and will need to be drilled out I just hope after I get it all apart and sand blasted it wont be as bad as it looks. Check out the locking hubs on it Ive never seen a set like this before their kinda cool looking . I have pics of it post here http://pictures.sprintpcs.com/guest/album_thumbs.jsp?invite=SESrPhmpP58j6LYkkaDx take a look and see what you guys think. mabe I can get some possitive reinforcement from you guys.

10. BlackDog714

BlackDog714 1/2 ton status

Dude, two words for you... MEDIA BLAST!!!!

11. mudjunkie 82

take them apart,sandblast them then rebuild them.........