Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new dd * HELP ME UPGRADE

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NEK5, Jun 25, 2006.

1. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I need something to save on gas, but not sure what i want...right now i have three choices..i can get an 87 rs camaro,needs paint, small rot hole in bottom of front fender,fue line,brakes,maybe other stuff as its sat for a while...a jeep with a 4 cyl,soft top and no doors so i can cool down in the summer.....or get a mid 90s grand marquis in decent shape, put a flowmaster on it, some nice 16s or 17s, decent system, and some performance parts, if any are available.

so what do you guys think??are there any ups or downs to any of these???i`m planning on keeping the blazer, and using it as my winter/weekend warrior....what do ya think?or do you think i should just make the blazer better for the street, get all terains, maybe soft top for the summer?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2006
  2. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

none of those are great gas savers, if you really want commuter milage get honda, toyota or something like that

3. 81K5GUY

81K5GUY 1/2 ton status

please dont

4. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

the amount of money youll spend on the car + the added cost of insurance wont make up for what youll spend in gas.

5. NEK5

i was kinda iffy on that one, i`ve seen a couple of them around, kinda liked them, but in a way didnt....i`m not lookin to get like 30 mpg, just something that will be a little cheaper than the blazer, so jeep or camaro?

6. 81K5GUY

81K5GUY 1/2 ton status

I agree I was thinking about buying a small sammy and playing with it while I drove it daily but I added up the cost of everything and I could have put gas in the k5 for a year lol.My bro in law recently got transfered to Westpoint (hes in the Army) and gave me his 93 ranger spalsh to drive .He said he would be there for 3 years and the truck would have just sat there so he gave it to me.It does need work but I figured its free so what the hell.Gonna drive it to and from work its a 4 cyl with a 5 spd so I should come out ok.

7. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Just so you know, your dooming your K5...

If you want a commuter car, buy one, drive it.... If you buy a Heep or Maro, you'll be dumping cash in it... And the K5 will be left out... garaunteed...

8. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

4 cyl jeeps are notoriously bad on gas and I don't think a camero would be worth fooling with over some well thought out upgrades on your blazer. If you are determined to get something else to drive out of those 3 get the merc and leave it STOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

As already stated I don't think you are going to save money by going with any of the alternatives you listed.

Some well thought out modifications may improve your milage more effectively than buying another project. From your sig..... narrower tires, deeper gears, is your intake/exhaust setup helping or hurting your milage?????

What are you getting currently?

9. NEK5

i`m gettin around 11 mpg now, i installed the spacers and stuff like that, got the kit from jegs, i do plan on getting narrower tires....12.5`s i think or what?...what would be some good upgrades?? for exhaust i have a dual catback, super 40 flowmaster, and a small high flow cat

10. 81K5GUY

81K5GUY 1/2 ton status

I cant see you getting any better than around 10-12 mpg.I heard that a crossover tube on a dual exhaust would help and am planning on trying that I currently get around 10 mpg in my 81

11. NEK5

so narrower tires, better exhaust??, what else? I want to just make it a little better than it is now....i dont do alot of driving, i usually put 30 or 40 in a week, so its not that bad, but it could be better, and i would like to drive it more,so what are some wise/practical upgrades? would a soft top be one?

and i have the oppurtunity to just take my moms car when i really need to drive alot, scion xa with a 4 banger, so i guess i really dont need another car...

12. NEK5

13. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

narrower tires...radials. get a 33x12.5x15 and they'll help alot, some sport kings would be good (same as bfg a/t's but cheaper, they're made by bfg too, wear like iron)

14. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I have to disagree with that. Yes, they are not the best with gas milage but my old YJ went all week on one 12 gallon tank as my K5 does on a 30 gallon tank.

15. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

yep.

If you want to save gas, then buy a gas saver car. None of those you listed qualify.

I bought a 2004 Chevy Aveo new 2 years ago. I was getting 9 mpg with my K5, and I get 33+ with the Aveo. I don't care that it's not "cool" looking.It's a commuter car, plain & simple. It saves me gas and wear & tear on the K5. With the money I saved in gas, (I was driving 110 miles roundtrip ) I paid the car off in a year. So now, I've got a great little gas saver with only 50K miles on it, and it's paid off and still under warrenty until 100k. This allowed me to be able to invest in some 1 ton axles this year, and hopefully more upgrades to come. I'm sinking money into some POS car to keep it on the road to keep a ride to work

16. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

yeah, but ...you don't measure MPG in days...you measure it miles. I can make my K5's 31 gallon tank last for months....if I don't drive it. Having your tank last a week is no accomplishment if you only putting a small amount of miles on it everyday. I was filling mine up every other day because I was putting 300 miles or so on it.

17. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

I had a 92 B2200 for a long time. You are going to LOVE the milage that thing will turn if you get it running right.

18. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

wow, a ck5'er with an Aveo. What do you think of it? I am going to buy one for my wife in the August/September/October time frame. We're going with the 5 door one. '07s come out in August, so they will hopefully have an incentive or two on the old '06s. I have $1k in GM card cash too. :grin: Anyway, how has the car been for ya? which one do you have? auto? manual?

j

19. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

um...a friend of mine has a early 90's with a 4 and a 5 speed, i have a 90 258 w/ a carter 2 barrel...i get better mileage then him. (my 19-20 to his 17-18) The only upgrade ive done is a gm hei ignition. both stock size/ axles tires etc.

20. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

That is miles, basically the same amount of driving back and forth to work for a week. Oh, and I am talking about my stock daily driver K5 not the built one.