Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new detroit and 14b

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ssped, Mar 22, 2006.

1. ssped

ssped 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Just looking for input. I did a 14brear axle swap and a detroit locker install and see everyone saying how it will drive different. I know the push in the corners when accelerating into a turn is normal but is the 1/8th to a 1/4inch play in the diff normal? I set the lash to .07 and all the set up went really easy so I am pretty sure it is in the locker doing it. also is the clunking and banging when accelerating and a little when shifting normal?

2. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Hmm.....well I don't have any clunking and banging with my Detroit, but many here do. There will be more slop in the drivetrain like you described. That is just a fact of life with a Detroit.

It will take some getting used to the fact that your rig is now driven by the outside tire rather than the inside tire when turning. To me it almost feels like you are losing traction through the turn. But, once again, completely typical of the Detroit.

The first time you take your rig offroad, you will be smiling from ear to ear.:D :D

3. ssped

ssped 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ok I apppreciate the feedback. I am pretty sure I just need to get used to it. I work for Land Rover and we are running electronic lockers in the cars. they are incedible but you really have to know what you are looking for to feel them engaging. They are real smooth and the traction is awesome. We were out climbing walls this weekend in Ocotillo Wells.

Thanks

4. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I have had my lockers for over a year.. and just recently had my rear detroit unload twice on my way home... my bro looked at me and I looked at him and said... hmm guess that is either the detroit unloading or we just drove over a honda civic!!! :haha:

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

6. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

You can rotate my pinion yoke about 1.5" Makes noise on decel also.

7. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I get some noise when coasting. I also learned that if going downhill if you let off of the gas and then back on you can make the detroit bang. Mine sounds like someone hit the floorpan with a big hammer and it shimmys a little bit:D .

Ira

8. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Mine bangs real hard with light throttle input. The first time it happened, I had to pull over and check to make sure my truck was still all there. Mine also has a ton of play at the yoke- at least an inch of play before it engages.