Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new diesel owner, couple of q's

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by joez, Oct 26, 2003.

1. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

new diesel owner, couple of q\'s

well, i just moved up from the world of toyota, just picked up a clean 85 blazer with a 6.2. the site helped a lot after me running searches and i got a lot of info. but there are still a couple of questions i have that searching has not answered.

1.those who use block heaters, do they make any noise? i plugged mine in for the first time in its life tonight, and it made some noises that i wasnt comfortable with, sounded like it was boiling, or burning up.

2.it doesnt like to start when warmed up. it was 30* today, and it would fire right up when cold, but after it got to operating temp, it would just crank for close to 7 seconds, then puff a massive cloud of white smoke. now, from what i have read, this sounds like it is the injector pump going bad, but it could also just be the top cap of the pump. or the lift pump. i read that ATF can be used to diagnose a bad injector pump, anyone have any suggestions for what ATF to add(dieseldan possibly)?

3.(last one for now) this will sound dumb, but i cannot fire out my driver side rear tail light. it lights up with the headlights, but not for brakes or turn signals. i have replaced the bulb, and it did nothing. same with the reverse lights. is there a relay that could be shorted out on? i havent torn into it yet, just tried new bulbs so far. a fix it ticket is the last thing i need right now.

thanks for all your help.

2. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Re: new diesel owner, couple of q\'s

Welcome to CK5

[ QUOTE ]
    1.those who use block heaters, do they make any noise? i plugged mine in for the first time in its life tonight, and it made some noises that i wasnt comfortable with, sounded like it was boiling, or burning up.

[/ QUOTE ] Mine makes the same noise, and I used it last winter fine, no problems.
    [ QUOTE ]
    2.it doesnt like to start when warmed up. it was 30* today, and it would fire right up when cold, but after it got to operating temp, it would just crank for close to 7 seconds, then puff a massive cloud of white smoke. now, from what i have read, this sounds like it is the injector pump going bad, but it could also just be the top cap of the pump. or the lift pump. i read that ATF can be used to diagnose a bad injector pump, anyone have any suggestions for what ATF to add(dieseldan possibly)?

[/ QUOTE ] How long after it was sitting did you try to fire it up?
    [ QUOTE ]
    3.(last one for now) this will sound dumb, but i cannot fire out my driver side rear tail light. it lights up with the headlights, but not for brakes or turn signals. i have replaced the bulb, and it did nothing. same with the reverse lights. is there a relay that could be shorted out on? i havent torn into it yet, just tried new bulbs so far. a fix it ticket is the last thing i need right now.

[/ QUOTE ] Get a test light and check the socket and wires
    behind the housing.

Where are you located?

3. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

1) Block heaters sound like a crackingling boiling sound... It should level out to a hiss as it finally reaches operating temps... SOunds like it works fine to me!

2) First, I would verify that your GP are working... Just because the block is warmed up, doesn't mean the cylinder air that is compressed to make the diesel burn is hot enough! IF all your GPs are working properly, try the water trick... Run the truck till it's nice and hot. Shut it down, and wait a minute... try to fire it back up... If it doesn't fire right back up, pour a glass of cold water over the top of the injector pump... Then try and fire it up... If it fires right up(differently than w/o the water) than the solinoid in the injector pump is starting to stick....

3) Sounds to me like it's a wiring issue... Have a similar problem on mine, try diagnosing the wires that feed the light sockets and weather or not you have voltage to the plug that is located behind the rear bumper going to the driver's side light housing in all the locations... Basically trace the power... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

thanks guys, i guess i will go plug her in.

it sat for about 5 minutes, after being driven for about 45. all of the glow plugs are working. like i said, she starts instantly when cold. i will try the water trick, i had forgotten about that. thank you for the quick replies, i think i am going to like it here.

5. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

hey joe. i see ya finally found the best site for these trucks on the net /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif i left that one site where we met cuz ppl were becoming more like the guys at pirate and the board is pretty much dead anymore. but glad to see ya finally got a GM product and good luck

NITRO

6. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

yeah, i made it arround. that old site was starting to get lame, but it might be coming alive again. i havent tried the water yet, but will tommarow, when i get a chance.

7. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

well, i fixed the wiring problems, it was caused by the idiot who wired up the trailer plug in. i rewired all of that and the lights work now.

anyone know where you can buy just the selenoid for the injection pump? or would it be better to just rebuild/replace the entire pump?

8. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

ok, i tried the water thing again today, and nothing, she just cranks for ever. also she seemed much harder to cold start this morning. could this mean that it is just the lift pump that has gone bad? or would it be for sure the injection selenoid. or? if anyone is in the chicagoland area i could really use some help on this. i am loosing faith already.

9. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Now your glow plugs were firing at this point or they aren't coming on at all?

If i remember right the 85 has a temperature inhibit switch which won't allow the glow plugs to fire if the engine is at a certain temp, but the rig actually might require a few seconds of glow to start.

What kind of glow plugs are you running? Are they all working correctly? If they are 9s or 14 replace em with some AC60s and save yourself some time down the road.

You anywhere near Central IL? I could come by and attempt a look at what ya got!!

10. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

im not to far from central illinois, i am actually about 50 miles south of chicago.

the glow system is working, kind of. at this point the motor is still at opperating temp, and the glows are not glowing. like the ammount of time to fill up. i will be getting the 60g's for sure, from the searches i have done, they seem to be the only plug worth using. i will also be wiring a manual glow system, so i can glow it when it is still at the mid-temp. if it is a fuel problem, i hope it is just the lift pump, seems a lot easier to deal with than the injection at this point.

it sure is nice to have another truck right now. so i dont have to worry to much.

where at in central IL. do you live?

11. OFFRDK5

Don't know about a manual glow on an 85 so can't tell ya how to do it. There is prolly one here in the forum...the search feature is a great thing!!

You say it is at operating temp...? Numbers man, numbers!!

I am located in Bloomington-Normal. Feel free to email me.

Also might I put a plug in for http://www.thedieselpage.com

12. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

hehe, i searched and already gathered the rest of the parts i needed for the manual glow.

opperating temp seems to be just shy of 200* generally stays arround 190. when i shut it off at that temp, let it sit for a minute, then try to start it, it will be hard to start. like i said about 7 seconds of cranking. ammount of smoke has diminished. i will pick up new 60g's tommarow.

im already on over there at the diesel page, another great source for info, i need to renew the "subscription" i guess you could call it, though.

Bloomington-Normal, im down there quite a bit. have friends and family over at ISU. if i cant get this figured out ill e-mail you.

13. OFFRDK5

[ QUOTE ]
    im already on over there at the diesel page, another great source for info, i need to renew the "subscription" i guess you could call it, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh thanks for reminding me that I need to renew as well, now I have to figure out how to get it on a credit card that is maxed out!!

14. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Most likely fuel solenoid in injector pump rather than glow plugs or lift pump. Lift pump I dont believe is affected by heat being a diaphragm type and you dont need glow plugs with the engine that warm. You can take off the top cap and replace just the solenoid which you can pick up at injector pump shops.

15. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

thanks for the info. hopefully it will just be simple, and not the injection pump itself.