Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Diesel owner

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 78 k5, May 24, 2005.

1. 78 k5

78 k5 1/2 ton status

I have finally joined the ranks of the diesel crowd. :D My gas powered K5 burnt to the ground about 2 weeks ago, so today I went and I bought a 1990 6.2burb. I am an EXTREME newb to diesel tech and don't know the first thing about these engines. I'm fairly handy around trucks (I've installed gears/lockers and such) but never owned a diesel so please fill this thread with any info/links on things I should do before I start wheelin' it and any important tid-bits to note about my new truck :D

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Welcome to the smoky clackity side...:)

I normally try to answer stuff with specifics that help, even when the subject has been beat to death. However, in this case the best advice I can think of is to spend a few hours reading old posts in this forum. Firstly, it's not the fastest moving forum, so it's not like there are a million threads to sift through. Secondly, the signal to noise ratio is pretty high in here so the posts you find should all be pretty helpful.

I would recomend getting the haynes manual for diesels. It covers the ford 6.9, and 7.3 as well as the GM 6.2 and 6.5. There is a lot of general info there that you'll likely reference often enough.

Once you become familiar with some of the new vocab you'll soon appreciate how simple these motors are...

Sorry to hear about the K5. :frown1:

Rene

3. 78 k5

78 k5 1/2 ton status

Thanks Rusty :D