Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New disturbing problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Muddytazz, Oct 21, 2002.

1. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

when i go to start my 350, the starter engage, sounds normal for a couple seconds, then GRIND....and if i keep the key in the start position to make is start, it goes good, grind, good, grind, you get the idea until if fires. Could it be screwed flexplate? The starter and flexplate are both only 2 months old, but that doesn't mean nothing.

2. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

That sounds like a starter problem. More specifically, I'd say a solenoid problem. I hope you still have a warranty.

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I took the starter off my dads 350 and tried it on mine and it still did the same thing though.

4. GMslave

GMslave 1/2 ton status

Climb under there and take a screwdriver to pry the starter pinion to engage the flexplate. Check the engagement. Also, you might wnat to check your flexplate for missing teeth.

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Not sure, but since you tried a different starter and it did the same, it sounds as if your flexplate is bent, causing a good sound at certain points and crappy sound at others. Is is always good, bad, good, bad, etc. or does it some times go bad, good, bad, good? If it is always the same, the chances of the flexplate always being in the same position is unlikely, so I would check the solenoid and wiring.

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Is is always good, bad, good, bad, etc. or does it some times go bad, good, bad, good?

[/ QUOTE ]
    it always engages teh flexplate and starts to spin with a good sound then bad, good, etc.

Climb under there and take a screwdriver to pry the starter pinion to engage the flexplate. Check the engagement. Also, you might wnat to check your flexplate for missing teeth.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I have tried this and i get roughly 1/3 engagement between the starter pinion and flexplate. All the teeth are there, but I am starting to see metal slivers on the teeth of the flexplate.

I was able to get the starter pinion stopped in the engaged position by bumping the key, and instead of being normal tooth to tooth engagement, the tops of the teeth were touching each other(top of tooth to top of tooth).

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I was able to get the starter pinion stopped in the engaged position by bumping the key, and instead of being normal tooth to tooth engagement, the tops of the teeth were touching each other(top of tooth to top of tooth).

[/ QUOTE ] You need to shim the starter away from the block. Any parts store should have starter shims in a variety of thicknesess. A decent shop manual will show you what and how to measure to get it right. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

8. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

You need to shim the starter away from the block.

[/ QUOTE ]
    but why would this start all of a sudden after putting in new starter and flexplate about 4 months ago?

9. GMslave

GMslave 1/2 ton status

Because the teeth wore down enough to cause them not to engage as nicely. The best part is, when you get a new Auto Parts store starter, you get to shim it all over again because you never know what the rebuild company has done to them.

10. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

In my truck I actually had to shave metel off of the starter where it mounts to the block. I allso had to make a brace for it from a stud on the back of the starter up to a little 5/16 or 14 inch hole on the block that was right above that stud. The hole is allready drilled and tapped from the factory. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif So try shaving some of the starter. the worst that could happen is you would have to put shims in if that didnt work. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

11. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

mine did that..turned out the flex plate bolts were barly on!! i dunno just my .2

12. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Problem fixed...it was the starter pinion gear, or to be more precise, the thin bushing that the starter gear slides on was falling apart causing about .040 slop(sp?) and that shaft. Replaced the starter and it works fine now