Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Drag Link On - Steering Wheel Crooked

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Polaris, Aug 30, 2002.

1. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

When we did my lift I had help. A friend installed the drag link and the wheels were not straight at the time. Now my steering wheel is not straight when the wheels are. Can I remove/replace the drag link with the wheels straight and that should fix it up? It's not a huge big deal, but it is annoying.

Thanks!

2. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

adjust its length
    test how close to centre the steering box is

3. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

Yup, don't even have to take it off the truck. Loosen up the bolts on adjusting collar, and turn it one way or the other to lenghten/shorten the drag link until everything lines up. Tighten up the bolts on the collar and you are done.

4. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You do not need to remove the draglink. All you have to do is loosen the two locking bolts/nuts on the adjuster and turn it in or out in order to get the wheel straight. You can do it yourself by running back and forth or can be made easier with two people. Make sure the wheels are straight on the truck, park it, lock the brake and leave the key in on position (to keep steering wheel from locking). Loosen nuts, turn adjuster until steering wheel is straight, tighten nuts, go for a test drive and repeat as necessary until the wheel is straight while vehicle is tracking straight (best test is on a flat road with no crown, or ride the center of the road so you are splitting the crown).

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

more important is whether there is equal number of turns of the wheel left and right

6. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Very True! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    To Polaris: Make sure the steering stops on the axle are what limits wheel turning and not the stops in the box.

MJ: Correct me if I'm wrong here, but as a good starting point (to make sure box is centered when wheels are), when the wheels are straight the steering arm (on stock 4WD) coming off the steering box, should almost be perpendicular to the frame (good starting point, and then adjust so wheel is straight)........?

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    MJ: Correct me if I am wrong

[/ QUOTE ]

8. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Wow - that's so easy even *I* can do it! First test drive coming up /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

9. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

If the wheel is off to the right, the drag link needs to be longer. I THINK you turn the adjusting sleev to the left to get this...that would make sense, left = loose Usually it takes a very small change to get it back to center. start out with maybe a 1/2 turn.