Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new driveline coming, what do yall think?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 4x4blazer, Aug 28, 2000.

1. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

Well, after my new engine install this weekend, I drove the old K5 to work for the first time today. On the way home my friggin rear end busted up on me. Haha, thats so damned funny, right?
    Anyone know what I can expect to pay to have new gears put in the rear? Its a corp. 12 bolt.

[​IMG]

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Re: BROKEN AGAIN !!!!!

Should be able to score one for under $200 without much trouble. Just look for one the has the same gear ratio as yours. 3.08 is VERY common in a 12. 3.73 was the option gear. I know some of the mid 80's trucks had a 3.42 or something near that. As far as I know the 12 never came with that from the factory. Go a head and plan on seals for about $35. Other than that you should have no troubles.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

3. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

Ok. I think I have it figured out. This rear end came from a junk yard a couple of years ago. I'm not gonna do that this time, cause it is 3.08 geared and I am runnin 33s now and 36s soon. So I figure now is as good a time as any for a gear swap.
    I called up the guy that does all my driveline work and this is what we came up with.......
    Swap in 4.10s front and rear.
    Eaton in the rear.
    LockRight in the front.
    Ditch the auto hubs for Warn manuals.

This sounds like a solid driveline to me. Will take a little bit to save up the dough though. Parts, labor, frieght, and tax came up to $2208.
    What do yall think?

[​IMG]

4. James

James 1/2 ton status

12 bolt rear with 36's? whats up front 10 bolt front. I have a 12 bolt rear 10 bolt front with 33s. want to go larger on tires 35s or 36s, but have been told to upgrade axles for that size tires. 14 bolt rear D44 or D60 front. Been pricing around my area for 14bolt rear 4.56 or 4.10s for 1300.00 w/lockers and this is with the 6lug conversion. Might even find cheaper without conversion not sure though.
    Peace
    James

5. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

I have a 12/10. The guy thats gonna do my work has a 79 chevy truck with a 12/10. He runs 4.56s with 38s and lockers. I have been riding trails with him for a few years now and he hasn't had a problem yet. All wehave down here in Louisiana is mud, and some mud, and a little mud with an occasional mud hole. No rocks to climb. That might make a difference with how well a 12/10 combo holds up, not sure though.
    I am gonna run US Gears up front and Precision Gears in the rear. Anyone have anything to say about these manufacturers?

[​IMG]

6. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

Oh yea, anyone know how the SuperWinch hubs compare to Warn hubs?

[​IMG]

7. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

8. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I have been running a 44/12 bolt combo with 35x15.50's for about two years now and the only problem I have had is I brok a front ujoint and I have a bad pinion bearing on the 44 which took out the ring/pinion/carrier.

Other than that, i am happy with them. I was going to go 60/14FF, but my funds went bye bye and I am going to have to stick with the present combo.....

Dont waste your time going from a front 10 bolt to a 44, they are virtually the same in strength....

I may have a 4.10 Richmond ring and pinion available within the next couple months if you are interested. It has only been use for 2 ears and about 1000 miles.

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

9. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

I think that if you've got $2208 to spend on that, you might wanna think about swapping to one-ton drivetrain. My personal preference would be the lockrite in the rear, limited slip in the front, but whatever. Please don't spend $2208 on 1/2 ton parts! PLEASE!

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash