Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Drum Stuff!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Inu-Hanyou1776, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

Here's what I've been spending what little dwindling currency I have on lately:

Bass Drum Head & Drop Clutch

Now first off, a drop clutch in drummer's lingo is a device that goes on one of the cymbal stands, not me actually dropping the clutch in someone's poor car! :D

Ok, in reality, parent's gave me the little money I needed to get the bass drum head, while I bought the drop clutch completely on my own.

2. gauder

gauder Banned

Awesome, really cool.

Fock paying any bills.:whistle:

3. Inu-Hanyou1776

You said it. If I tried to negotiate with those bill collectors, they'd probably tell me that the smallest monthly payment they'll accept from me would be what it cost to get the bass drum head, shipping and all: almost $50.

Anyway, the next things I plan on getting for the set are first a better hi-hat stand. The double-pedals have shown me for awhile now the limitations of the stock one. One I'm looking at in the local music shop here the guy wants $65-70 for.

After that, I'll then be looking at getting me one of these:

[​IMG]

China Cymbal. Now this is one thing I'm actually glad IS made in china, because the chinese were who came up with this type of cymbal, so they'd know best how to make 'em. These cymbals are meant to sound 'trashy'.

EDIT - I know both of these are a ways off, but they are the next big things I'm getting for the drums.

4. gauder

gauder Banned

Don't worry, the interest that's adding up right now won't hurt at all.

5. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

My China was made in USA :dunno:

And...uh...I think Gauder was trying to tell you something........

6. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

What did I miss? I need a good soap-opra today:D

7. Inu-Hanyou1776

89, I would prefer to order my china cymbal from my local shop (he's a Sabian dealer, so it would be a Sabian, which is Made in Canada), but the price might be the killer on that.

If Gauder was trying to tell me something on bills, that's something dad has told me repeatedly not to worry about and let him handle because it only puts unneeded stress on me, worrying about paying bills I don't have the money for (I had less than $100 in the bank when those things were ordered).

8. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

One of my favorite laws of Murphy with a select Corollary:

"If anything can go wrong, it will; at the most inopportune time"

9. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

Sweet hardware, man! I just got a new amp for my bass on christmas. :D

Unfortunetly I need to find a new band now because my old one broke up. :doah:

10. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

yeah, fock it. buy drums. forget being a man and taking care of what you need to take care of. mommy and daddy will do it for you. :rolleyes: absolutely pathetic man.

11. Inu-Hanyou1776

Dude, you still don't get it. Docs have still forbidden me to work until June. THAT'S WHY I HAVE NO REAL AMOUNT OF MONEY!! OTHERWISE I WOULD BE WORKING WITH THE ******** BILL COLLECTORS ON PAYING THEM!

12. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

So... you had less than $100, no source of income until June, and you bought some drum accessories, cool.

I just got a bunch of money for a TDY I went on, and my tax return. I was gonna buy a motor and a project truck. But now I've gotta potentially rebuild a transmission, replace ball joints (upper and lower), idler arms, and CV shafts (not to mention tag renewals coming up). Maybe I should still get that motor and truck. Sounds like that methodology works for you.

13. gauder

gauder Banned

Anytime you can't work anymore Jagged, you stop paying your bills and use whatever money you have to buy whatever you want.

14. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

you had money, rather than spending it towards the things you need to, you bought things you didnt really need. sometimes you have to man up, take care of business, and do without some luxuries for a while. of course, you're still living at home, watching cartoons, oblivious to what is actually going on outside your little nowhere town. cant expect you to be a man when you're still in a situation like that.

15. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

The lads are trying to give you some advice, albiet in a round about way. The truth hurts, Noah. I agree with them. You REALLY need to get your priorities straight.

You probably remember that I'm a drummer too. I love my kit and it's always fun to buy new gear. I've got my eye on a wicked little crash right now with a pricetag of almost $300. Unfortunately, I have a few more important things that need to be dealt with, so the crash cymbal will have to wait. That's the way life works.

Quit getting upset everytime someone offers you advice. A wise man listens when everyone is telling him the same thing......:thinking:

16. Inu-Hanyou1776

Hmm, why'd you lock this, and then unlock it? Playing mind games with me?

17. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I didn't lock it. Somebody else decided to meddle in my business........:shame:

18. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Wow, you know what. I just looked an Inu's profile. You're about 6 months older than I. Hate to say it bro, but I seriously thought you were about 17 or so.

In retrospect, things like this give me an opportunity to reflect on different major life experiences affecting peoples lifestyles, social outlook, world view, political beliefs, and overall maturity.

(Climbing on top of soapbox)
    Until I was 12, I was just a regular kid, growing up in a lower-middle-class family. Then over the next two and a half years my mother was diagnosed, nearly died, and recovered from cancer. During that time my dad worked long hours at work to help pay the bills that the insurance company wouldn't. I grew up a lot then, I was expected to take care of my 9 year old brother and 6 year old sister while my mom was basically bedridden.

High school wasn't bad, did well there. Went on to college. Got accepted to Virginia Tech's school of Engineering, admitted to the Honor's program. Fast-forward to the end of my Freshman year of college. I was kicked out of the Honor's program, put on Academic Probation, and my roomate (one of my best friends from high school) attempted suicide. I was then placed on Academic Suspension for a semester, came back, didn't do well enough, and got suspended again for a year. After my first probation, I was told that I had to pay my own schooling until my grades came back up. No big deal, worked my ass off during the summer, breaks, and the couple semesters I was at school.

After the second (year long) suspension was handed to me, I decided to take a break. Enlisted in the military (USAF), got shuttled through the pipeline training, and showed up in the armpit of the US in Kansas (no offence KS guys, I just don't like it here). With less than 10 months on station I was deployed. Here I am, just passed my two year mark with the Air Force. I've seen nothing compared to what the guys in the Army and Marines have to go through (lotsa respect for you guys), I work over 60 hours a week, outside, regardless of weather (except during lightning storms... something about airplanes full of 180k+ pounds of jet fuel and lightning.. ;) ).

I've had a few "awakening" experiences even (once again, nothing compared to Army/Marines). Nearly got severed in two when a 600 degree celcius chunk of titanium flew within 20 feet of me. Almost lost my hands a couple times due to surfaces moving with about 3,000 PSI of hydraulic pressure behind them. Almost got ran over by a Mirage fighter. Had an Apache's minigun pointed at me.

Just about every time I see someone that looks about my age, I find myself highly critical. There was one guy that stands out. Some used book store clerk, who was about half my size (amazing enough as it is), reading some touchy-feely liberal crap was trying to get me to have a conversation with him about his thoughts on the various conflicts we're involved in and the downsizing of our military. I forget what he said, but I remember what my reaction was. I just looked at him for a few moments, and reached a conclusion that he had his head stuck either 1) Up his ass, 2) In the sand, or 3) In his mom's tits, had no real support behind his claims, dropped the two books I had on the floor, and just left the store.

Anyways, trying to find a way to make a point out of all of this. Some people have certain life-events that force them to mature. Others (like Inu from my point of view) are left to their own devices to mature. Even though you may be denied the cabability to generate income, you can still start acting the part of a responsible adult.

The best advice I ever got was from my First Sergeant right after I got promoted to Senior Airman:

Shirt: "Airman Davis, you know this means you'll be testing for Staff Sergeant in May, right?"
    Me: "Yes sir."
    Shirt: "If you start acting like an NCO should now, when you put on that Staff stripe, people will respect you because you deserve it, and know that you can already act accordingly."
    Me: "Never thought of that, sir."
    Shirt: "Not many do, and when they get that Staff stripe (as I'm sure you've noticed), many people still treat them like they were still a Senior Airman"
    Me: "I know exactly what you mean, sir"
    Shirt: "Good luck in May"
    Me: "Thank you, sir"

Ever since that day, it's something that I tell myself every day before I go into work. I will learn how to handle the responsibility of my supervisors, act with certainty, and be knowledgeable of the rules and regulations that pertain to my job.

That is how you make yourself mature. You have to make a decision to, stick with it, repeat it to yourself, and reflect upon your actions to ensure you are following through.

(climb off soapbox)

19. gauder

gauder Banned

Much respect Jagged.

20. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Well put. And like above, much respect.

Inu, don't get your feelings hurt, just open your ears or eyes in this case and listen. No one is trying to do harm by you..

John