Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NEW Eastern PA & NJ K5ers

Discussion in 'Blazin Trails' started by jarheadk5, Dec 18, 2000.

1. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

As far as dates go, March/April sounds good to me. I'll have to find out what my drill weekend dates are to avoid them.
    My truck is stock engine & trans, 3" bodylift, and 33" BFG A/T's. I'm hoping things won't be too rough, because it would really SUCK to get everyone out there to find most of us can't have a good time!

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

2. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

cool. Im in a Stock 85 w/31's, (maybe ill have a 6 " lift and 35's/36's by then. Hey, xmas is coming)

ill have a friend with a 79 pickup, 4inch susp, 3 inch body and 38 inch ground hawgs.

cant wait.

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

3. walt88

walt88 1/2 ton status

You know i am always up for some fun in Jersey. I think i'll be alright, 4" lift 36" swampers, and a bunch of other goodies. Let me know. Maybe my friend with his Z-71 will want to go.

Keep the shiny side up, and the greasy side down.

4. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

hey i wanna come play too!!!
    hopefully by then i'll have all my bug's worked outta my rig so i'll be able to make the 2hr. drive...
    seems like i have to go farther and farther to play anymore,,jersey,paragon,my folks place in the mountains(4 1/2 hour drive)...i think i'll just buy a couple thousand acres around here and you guy's can come here to play!![​IMG]

ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

5. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

that would be sweet if you were serious...........

are you serious?...........

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

6. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

I think we gotta get together and buy some land! I guess the question is....

Who wants to open a 4x park!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<font color=blue>"You call it clearance, I call it head room." [​IMG]</font color=blue>

7. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

OK, here is what I have learned about the Ft. Dix area in the last couple days.

Some background...
    Ft. Dix is an old Army basic training site. They did plenty of Tank training there as well, so there are acres and acres of tank trails and gunnery ranges. The base was "closed" to the active duty, but is a very busy reserve base. There is a large Active Duty Air Force training center there that uses a large part of Ft. Dix. There are also 2 federal prisons there.

The trails...
    Ft. Dix is on the outskirts of the Pine Barrens. It is mostly an extension of the Pine Barrens, that is, mostly fire roads and trails. But rumor has it there are some nice, open tank battlefield areas. But, Ft. Dix boundaries are not clearly defined on that side of the base. So it seems pretty easy to get "lost".

Caveats....
    There are just under 100 firing ranges on the base. Many of them are still in use by DoD, Army, Air Force and civilian police depts. And although it is a closed base, it is patrolled by Department of Defense police.

The guys on my mailing list were a little reluctant to talk about it online. But a trip to the "Pine Barrens" seemed a possibility. Some of the guys on there have been in the area and seem like the people to go with. Let me know a consensus date on here and I will let them know!

And BTW, I am stock too. I probably won't have my lift before we go, so I'll have to take it easy.

It seems like it could be a pretty big trip.

<font color=blue>"You call it clearance, I call it head room." [​IMG]</font color=blue>

8. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

i'd love to play on the base,but,,,,,do they still use heavy artillery????? that would suck to be wheelin' and have a smart bomb take off my lift from the ground up!!![​IMG] i worked hard to put it on there just right!!!!!
    actually i still have a lot to go,,,anyone come help me put it all back together????
    maybe the blazer gods will send ed mcmahon to my door on superbowl sunday[​IMG]
    oh that's right,,,you have to send in your sweepstakes first..
    well if anyone sets a date i'll either bring my rig (if done by then) or i'll slut a ride with you guy's for the day,,,i just wanna go wheelin'!!

ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

9. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

Maybe we should start looking a little closer at Lebanon and Wharton State forests? Try to keep from getting shot at....

Ill see what I can dig up on the wheeling situation in the State lands.

--matt
    shaggyk5: 85 Blazer, 6" lift coming soon!
    Check out the Shag-site: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/shaggyk5>http://www.geocities.com/shaggyk5</A>
    nuthin like a heavy chevy!

10. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Mudrebel350 on this board told me theres some good legal trails by Forked River where he goes with his stock Jimmy. I have talked to a few people who went on the J**p Jamboree at Wharton last year and they liked the area.</font color=blue>

[​IMG]

11. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

ok, had to look at a bunch of NJ jeep sites to find this, (shiver) Couldnt find any Actual trails wiht names or directions or anything, but Most of the sites I looked at agreed: If you want to do Wharton State forest, you either start in Atison or Batsto. They all said there is tons of trails, in batsto there is a ranger station and big parking lots for trailers(if you tow your k5) the rangers are helpful and you can supposedly get some maps at the ranger station. Anyone else find anything?

--matt
    Check out the Shag-site: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/shaggyk5>http://www.geocities.com/shaggyk5</A>

12. walt88

walt88 1/2 ton status

WHEN are we going?!? Forked river has many many legal trails from what I heard. I am not to far from there. I can't wait till we go, being on the trail with a bunch of K5's. It will be so cool.

13. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Hey guys!

Wharton is pretty nice. It's all trails in the forest. That is where I swamped my truck up to the fenders. [​IMG] Most of the trails weren't as bad as that. It might not be a lotta fun for anyone with a lift and tires.

Here is a web site with a (kinda bad) map.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.alphasig.org/events/OffRoad/1999/areamap.htm>http://www.alphasig.org/events/OffRoad/1999/areamap.htm</A>

Wanna try that area???????

14. PineyPower

PineyPower Registered Member

Hey if u guys wanna really have some fun the weekend of memorial day there is a huge ass jamboriee type thing down in waretown.It`s stretches all the way from forked river alway to bargent and futher (if you find the right trails).It`s an all weekend thing and there is anywhere from 1,000 to 5,000 trucks there in one day.I went last year and talked to the owner of the properity and he said over the weekend there was 25,000 trucks that went in and out of there that whole weekend.People from all over the country come for that weekend and it is tons of fun...

15. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

sounds kinda crowded....

--matt

16. Chris Demartini

<font color=blue>I really think it would be wiser go to Paragon. It's not all extreme rock crawling where you screw up every panel (unless thats what you want [​IMG] ), theres plenty of stock-freindly trails, and its very close to town (i.e. spare parts). We also know for a fact that it's legal. There's a club up here in Northern NJ named Bergen County 4WD or something. They are responsable for the closing of some really good trail systems, simply because they went in huge groups and messed the place up. Ironicly, they are 1 of 3 clubs that gets special permits to these trails. I dont think it's a good idea for us to go to Fort Dix or anywhere were we dont know how legal it is. We're more likely to get in trouble if theres a lot of us. Plus, Paragon has guides who know the trails well. The more of us that go, the cheaper the guide is since they dont charge by how many trucks go. There's a campground very close to the park where we could camp (get there Friday night so we have the whole day or weekend to wheel) and it's cheap. The 4WD club I'm in goes once every year and they have an absolute blast. I couldnt make this year because my 1/2 ton axles were falling apart, but I'm signed up for this year. We're planning more trips for this year than last.

Do we have any idea of how many will be attending? It would help us to plan ahead if everyone who's going would post if they're going and if they're bringing someone. This would help with campground and guide planning (for instance, if enough people go, we can have one group with more-modified trucks do the tougher trails and those with stock vehicles do the milder stuff, that way everyone is accomodated). I'm going and a freind from school has a stock 84 K5 that might get a 350 crate motor, 3" lift, and 35s by then and he says he'll come, so put me down for 2</font color=blue>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.paragonap.com>Paragon Adventure Park</A>

[​IMG]

17. walt88

walt88 1/2 ton status

How about we stop talking and start doing. I am just waiting for a date or something.

18. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Boy, you take a little time to look for a job, and just look at what happened to my nice little Ft Dix trip!!

JUST KIDDING, FOLKS!!

Anyhoo, I've been a little busy hunting for a job and preparing to leave active duty, so this is the first time I've been on CK5 in some time. I think I'm gonna have to agree with the Paragon trip at this point; I had no idea there would be so much interest. Whoever made the comment about a huge group being a bigger target for the Law could quite possibly be right. I'm still thinking March/April, but not these dates: March 9,10,11, and April 7,8.

By the way, all of the ranges on Ft Dix share a common impact area (where the fired rounds go downrange). The ranges are arranged in a large L-shape to avoid having ranges firing on each other. As long as you stay on the correct side of Range Road, you are out of danger from the ranges. We go there for annual rifle and pistol qualification for work, so I'm fairly familiar with the range setup. BELIEVE ME, if I had any doubts about where the ranges and impact areas were, I would have NEVER suggested going wheeling around there.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

19. Chris Demartini

<font color=blue>I talked to a few people who go there a lot, and they said its still all frozen in March. We should plan for May. Thats early enough in the season to avoid the crowds, and it will be warmer. Just a sugestion.</font color=blue>

[​IMG]
    <font color=blue>pavement queen with shinny paint job and car tires</font color=blue>

20. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

I was wondering if we would ever see you again! So did you find a job?

Anyway, yeah, I think paragon maybe a good Idea. as of now, im still open for dates, no problems. is this cool with everyone else?

--matt