Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new eaton posi?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by misfit, Jun 5, 2001.

1. misfit

misfit 1/2 ton status

ive heard of the 4 spring eaton posi, has anyone used it?

2. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

4x4 Power did a comparo a few years ago in a '69 Blazer between open rear diff, limited slip, and a Detroit locker. They said the results were pretty expected how the open sucked offroad, but was best on the street and the Detroit was the opposite. They did mention how surprised they were with the Eaton limited slip offroad. Said it was almost unnoticable onroad and got them alot farther than they thought it would offroad.
    That was all I needed to hear, so thats what I got for my 12 bolt rear. Another really cool thing is how you can have different strength springs put in there, for different driving styles. I bought my axle stuff from West Coast Diffs and they were able to change the spring out in there shop. I just had them put the most aggresive spring in it and its STILL 99% like an open diff just crusin' around on paved roads. And it kicks ass offroad. I don't go offroad enough to need a Detroit, so this was an easy choice. Its even rebuildable.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Sounds like it is very similar to a Powerlock.

<font color=green>MIKE</font color=green> - "Hukd on fawnics,werkd fer me!"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>

4. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    I have used the original 4 spring, and the Top Spec four spring, but not the new carbon fiber 4 spring.
    They all are strong good dependable units, the first two designs will start to wear out(become like an open diff)
    around 10-20K miles with 36 inch tires in my wear tests, but they are rebuilable, and clucth packs are not to much
    $$$$$$$$4 compared to the cost of the "when it wears out Auburn LSD throw it out".
    The new carbon fiber clucth packs are suppost to be the "cat's meoww" we shall see, only time will tell !

5. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Also since you seam to be leaning toward a LSD , see if you can understand "Torque Bias"
    If you go to the Auburn site don't believe the graph they show IMHO is is a LIE.
    Good luck

6. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Check out what Executioner is saying and realize that the one I have IS the carbon fiber one. Maybe thats why I like it so much. Pricey but worth it.
    I felt like I had a Honda or something when I popped the diff cover to change the lube and could see some of the carbon fiber discs in the Eaton staring back at me. lol

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member