Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Edelbrock carb, have a few questions.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigJim85, Dec 30, 2002.

1. BigJim85

BigJim85 1/2 ton status

I got a Edelbrock performer #1406 carb for Christmas and I have it on and my truck runs a great deal better (damned QuadraJet...) anyway, just to make sure of things...

Question the first:
    The vacuum port, I had the distributor lines hooked up to the timed vacuum port to begin with, ran fine but not spectacularly. Then I hooked it to the manifold vacuum port and it seems to run much better. I blocked off quite a few vac. lines during the install, and removed the EGR since it was in the way, and when idling there's vacuum present at the hose. Dumbass me forget to check the old carb vacuum port before tearing it out.

Question the second:
    What's the best way to set the Idle mixture screws. The directions Edelbrock confused me, so I just leaned it out till it sputtered and riched it up a turn and a quarter on both screws. Does this give me a good setting?

Question the third:
    I need to get the best fuel economy right now, anyone know offhand what rods and jets would do that for me?

And finnaly what I got:
    '85 GMC Jimmy with a new 350 crate, Edelbrock Performer 1406, stock everything else. And I do most of my driving at and around 6000 feet above sea level.

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

PM Shaggy. He is the only person on earth that likes those carbs /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

3. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

I like them too. I have the 1407 though, so I don't know jet sizes and stuff for the 1406. Did you get the "Strip Kit"? That is the ticket for those carbs, but out of the box, that carb should be close already. Spend the $100 on a performer manifold and then mess with it, it will run better. Also, make sure it can breath well with a open element air cleaner. You can get all that stuff cheap well reasonable from Summit racing.

4. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

p.s. You are going to want "ported vacuum" to the distributor vacuum advance.

5. SCOTTS_4X

SCOTTS_4X 1/2 ton status

you want to get the best vacuum signal at a given rpm to acheive the best performance. to do this you need a vacuum guage, and a good low speed tach, usually a good tach and dwell meter will have a good 0-1000 rpm tach. hook it up and start adjusting. make sure you are reading manifold vacuum. starting at 2 full turns out is usually a safe spot. adjust until the vacuum goes to it's highest point. if the idle changes, adjust the idle srew and check the guage again. make sure it's alwayts at the same rpm to get acurate readings, becuase as the rpm goes up so does the vacuum signal.

-Scott

6. jtpepper

jtpepper Registered Member

The 1406 carb is set up for maximum fuel economy.Get a strip kit and a vaccuum gauge and get back with us.As far as which vaccuum to use,you answered your question,which ever run's best.Mixture setting's are best set with a gauge.Mine are a 1/2 turn from roughness to highest vaccuum.Get a vaccuum gauge,hook to manifold vaccuum,loosen the cover over the step-up rod and move so you can see the rod and gun the engine slightly and notice at what vaccuum the rod's pop up.Most are around 5"-7" hg.This will tell you what step-up spring to use.This is very important,too weak no power,too strong no economy.Go to Pep Boy's or some place like that and order a book on the Carter carb's.Lot's of info and very helpful.Hope this helps and GOD Bless,jtpepper

7. BigJim85

BigJim85 1/2 ton status

I was going to cantact Edelbrock too to see what they said about rods and jets. And plan on getting a strip kit too. Guess I'll go get a vacuum gauge and see what I can do with that. Even with it not "quite right" I get loads more power, better gas mileage and I don't have to dick with the choke when it's cold out. Not to mention this one doesn't die on me whenever it feels like it.

8. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I have a 1406 too. It ran well out of the box and I frankly haven't adjusted it...ever LOL This is the 2nd motor mine's been on.
    What they are saying about using the vacuum gauge is correct. When I get my engine running on all eight again ( /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif ) I will finally set mine that way.

I got the offroad float kit not too long ago. I frankly don't notice a difference, but then again I didn't have any problems to start with. I haven't had problems with it stumbling or anything.
    -- Mike

9. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

interesting.....

I swapped a 1407 for a 1910 Q-Jet and couldn't be happier.

...of course I also had some fuel pump problems too, so I really put all the blame on the Performer carb. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

10. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I just installed a brand new 1406 in place of my old beat up QJet. The float got saturated and sunk. I decided in leau of $70worth of rebuild kits, floats, cleaning stuff, beer and my poorly worn patience I was better off going brand new. Hooked it up and it ran like clock work. Only prob is the choke setting. I wasn't sure wether to mess with the actual choke or the fast idle setting. For now I turn the ignition and let it sit for 10 minutes but it's not gonna stay that way for long. I'm thinking hi idle speed setting. Can someone throw me a bone here? What's the best thing to do?

11. jtpepper

Jimmyjack,What problem are you having with your choke? Give some more info and I might be able to help.GOD Bless,jtpepper

12. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

About 3000 rpm's when I turn the key and start the truck. The choke opens pretty quickly, but I'm thinking it's in the fast idle cam or linkage. Gonna go out and play with it this AM

13. jtpepper

You're right on track I beleive.I love these carbs and really enjoy tinkering with them.The owners manual that comes with the carb is pretty understandable.Let me know what you find.GOD Bless,jtpepper