Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New EFI possibilities????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SUBFAN, Aug 5, 2004.

1. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html

Interesting stuff.... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

From what I understand it does not control the timing as a stockEFI system does so if your motor starts to ping it will not be able to retard your timing.

Factory EFI is a better option in my opinion. If you blow an ECM you can get one a the Auto Parts Store.

Harley

3. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

You build the ECM....Radio Shack would have your parts....

I just found it interesting. Could be a big help to the Caddy - non GM power plants on here /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

a simple tpi setup could be adapted to a caddy or any other motor much easier than most probably realize. No one says TPI has to use a factory manifold. And its a repost by the by /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I'd certainly like to see one done up.

5. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Sorry about the repost.... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I like Pontiac motors, and I am always looking for ways to FI one.

How do you easily adapt the timing characteristics into a non-Chevy distributer so the computer takes over? Knock sensors? etc?

Just trying to understand this FI Chit /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

thats what I'm thinking about. I'm thinking along the lines of non distributor pickup. Namely crank triggering. They sell TBI kits for Pontiac motors, I wonder what they use for disturbutor setup.

7. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    They sell TBI kits for Pontiac motors, I wonder what they use for disturbutor setup.

[/ QUOTE ]

What Holleys Pro-Crap or....What have I missed? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

This is a possibility for SFI, not glorified carb....

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

no this was some other company selling kits. I know what you mean about SFI I'm just saying if those kits have a computer controlled distributor it would be useful for SFI /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

9. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

There's similar computer for IGN called something like "Mega-Jolt", you'll have to search for it - I don't have a link. I've heard rumors of an "Ultra" that has everything combined into one unit.

10. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

SFI as in Sequential Fuel Injection? SFI started on Vortech motors I understand. TPI is not an SFI system. It is a batch fire system.

Harley

12. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Exactly. I like the idea of making something work rather than fork over a years salary. Call me crazy /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

13. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The distributors used in '81-up cars are, as I understand it, all useable with injection setups.

Not sure what Pontiac had for V8's in '81, but if the 301 existed that year, or any other Pontiac V8, you could use that distributor.