Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New electric fuel pump for diesel.....

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by savagek5diesel, Oct 31, 2006.

1. savagek5diesel

savagek5diesel 1/2 ton status

do you guys think this would be adaptable for the 6.2??http://www.dieselpp.com/
    if i remember correctly, the stock lift pump delivers 45psi to the IP? and these guys have a range of different pumps. Just thinking out loud though.

2. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

It's only pushing like 7-8 psi. Could you adapt it, maybe. Just use a carter elec. pump its cheaper and works fine.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I've had a universal electric pump on my truck ,hooked up between the tank and lift pump,since I got it..seems to help it start faster,run smoother,and makes bleeding the fuel filter much easier when replacing it..its just a cheepie from Auto-Zone,it looks like an inline gas filter...:crazy:

4. savagek5diesel

yeah, i put a universal pump in between the tank and filter, but it wasn't strong enough and burned out after a week. Just looking for something else to tinker with. Even though that pump i first posted about was way too pricey to even think about buying, i'm just looking for some options. Thanks for the post up guys.

5. savagek5diesel

oh yeah, and diesel4me, do you leave your electric pump on at all times? or do you just run it for a little bit before startup and let the mechanical pump do the rest of the work?

6. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Yeah boyeeeeeee! FASS pumps are top line stuff. Same with the filters but they are $$$. Lots of people reccommend Carter as a replacement.

Yes it should run all the time.

Should be self priming. Which is helpful when you change filters or otherwise get air in the system.

Should be installed as close to the tank as possible. Pushing is more efficent than pulling.

If you install another filter putting the pump downstream of the filter will lengthen the life of the pump.

You may want to consider connecting the pump to an oil pressure switch. There is some concern that during an accident the pump could continue to pump fuel.

I've been looking at a filter & pump set-up on the cheap. Sure, if you have $500 there are plenty of options!:doah:

7. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

Try looking over on gm-diesel.com search for fuel pumps. HJacobson has much knowledge on this.

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

on all the time...

I leave it running ,its wired to the ignition so it comes on when I turn the key on..I should put a relay and fuse in the power wire,its been running off whatever fuse I tapped into in the fuse box (hooked it up in a hurry during a blizzard,and have never gotten around to doing it:doah: )...but its worked flawlessly so far.. I can shut the pump off, and the motor keeps running,you can tell the difference in idle speed and smoothness when its on VS off..:crazy:

9. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I had an electric inline fuel pump plumbed on my diesel and I found out later that it wasn't wired correctly and it never ran, you couldn't tell since the mechanical pump was still running good.
    Also I had an electric pump hooked in line on my gas engine in the jeep, and I only switched that one on when I was doing WOT hill climbs, it helped with keeping the CARB fed better, did not affect the rest of the time when it was off, the engine ran fine.

10. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Some of the Cummins guys are now using Walbro pumps to supply there IP's with fuel. The Walbro's like they are using are capable of supporting some pretty hefty power if need be at whatever pressure you want.

I am running the same Walbro pump that the diesel guys are using on my TPI 350 in my K5 and it is more then capable of the 35-40 psi range it needs. I will be installing the Walbro setup on my Cummins down the road sometime. You need to run a regulator with the Walbro though because it is capable of pressures above 60psi.

The Walbro isn't cheap ($150 or so) but they seem to be a solid answer that can compete with the FASS system for fuel supply.

Harley