Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New eng. or fix the old?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rh88k5, Mar 9, 2003.

1. rh88k5

rh88k5 Registered Member

I thought I sucked an intake gasket, but after changing gaskets it still is leaking coolant internally. Should I have the heads serviced, replace cam,and do a few extras while Im at it,or buy a replacement engine? My engine has 150k on it, still has good compression and oil pressure, or should I have a shop do the repair so I wont have to bust my butt in my driveway afterwork?

2. TOOLMAN125

TOOLMAN125 Registered Member

what Vehicle,engine?

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

It all boils down too how much money you can spend on it. If the block is good, for the price of a crate motor, you could build that one into a monster !!!!! New hi-pro heads, cam, intake manifold, (rebuild the lower end, even stroke it) all for less then a crate motor aslong as you can do some of the wrench turning yourself. Biggest plus factor is you decide what parts go in it !!!!!

4. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I'd do the wrenching myself. Just take your time and do it right with quality parts.

5. JohnnyFresno

JohnnyFresno 1/2 ton status

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Leaking coolant internally could be a cracked block (cylinder wall) or the head of course...

Really depends what you want to do with the/a motor. Do you want to build up a 2 piece hydraulic flat tappet motor, or do you want a roller cam, 1 piece rear main, different heads, and so on?

Putting stuff together yourself can save *some* money, but if you don't have a block to start with, you have the option of either going with a short block, long block, or one of your own...but a short or long block will probably save you some time if your machine shops are like the ones around here /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If you just want a stock rebuild, go find a $50 complete motor that needs a rebuild, and rebuild it, stock. But if you are planning on really building it, or MIGHT get the idea too, be realistic, and start out with a good base block. If you want a roller cam, buy a newer motor.

If you just want a base rebuild, do just that. You'll nickel and dime yourself to death though should you start out building a stock motor, and then change your mind halfway through.

7. 4DiggerDan

4DiggerDan 1/2 ton status

I love you guys.... And I'm sure your local engine machine shop does too. It brings a tear to my eye to hear people say "build the one you got." and "Don't buy a crate."

All is true though. A local mechanic just bought a ZZ4 for the price of 4400 bucks. He could of had us build him a roller cam 383 on a late one piece rear main block for the same dough with anything Dart or World makes for heads, AND... Had a MUCH healthier engine. You ain't seen a "torque curve" until you've seen what a roller cam 383 can do with good heads /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif