Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new engine advice please...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MountainMan, Apr 2, 2004.

1. MountainMan

MountainMan Registered Member

So i am going to drop a new 350 in my 86. I dont have the time, tools, or know how to do it myself, so i am looking for a recommendation on a shop, i live in Highlands Ranch Colorado, i found the link for Ryan Engine Exchange any feedback on them??? are there other shops anyone would recommend? or avoid?

all thoughts appreciated.

i am all /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

Only a 350, is it modified or stock.

3. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Does it really matter?? Im willing to bet stock if he isnt comfortable switching them out.

Im not sure on those guys imparticular, but i'll bring this to the top for the rest to see. But if you have any mechanical abitlity at all and can beg/borrow/steal a shop crane, its not actually that hard. Pull the hood, rad, shroud, and fan. Then you have to unbolt the exhaust, pull the inspection cover off the tranny bellhousing and pull the 3 bolts out of the torque convertor/flexplate,slide the torque back into the tranny as far as you can easily. Hum, unbolt the 6 bolts out of the bellhousing (you can get the 3 tops ones from the top if you take off the distributor). Before you pull the motor mount bolts fasten the chain and crane, unhook fuel lines and cap them, unhook and mark the wires, there arent that many, and its usually easier to unbolt the steering pump and leave it with the truck. Oh and if it is your first time its a good idea to pull the starter off.now take a strain with the crane, and pull the motor mount through bolts out (one on each side) The engine should now come ahead 2 or 3 inches and you can start lifting. Its a tight squeeze but it will come. I think it would be good to get someone whos done it to help and then youd have another usable skill to add to your skills inventory.

4. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Being from Colorado, maybe it is time to buddy up with another CK5'r and make a weekend project of it, while learning some 'how to's....

Or, come to Moline on the RIGHT weekend, and bring the Brewskis for AFTER the swap /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. MountainMan

hmmmm... i really would love to tackle something like this and learn a bunch, any offers out there to take a newbie under your wing and show um how to swap an engine?

and ya... only a 350, i figure thats enough for want i am wanting, i just need a good strong solid engine that puts out 300 or so horses without going temprimental on me. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

6. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

forget thatsmallblock stuff, get yourself a 500 cid cadillac. thats what I'm running 480 hp 525torque, while only slightly modified (towing cam and fuel injection from a ford 460 w/ bigger injectors,plus afew other small mods) best power I've seen for the money spent. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

7. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

if you ever make it to slc UT I'd love to help, email me if you need help. I' /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gifve been a pro automotive tech for 10+ years

8. MountainMan

i actually lived in SLC for 5 yrs and we would love to move back but doesnt look like the job will let me. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

9. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Just pulled an engine for the 4th time in my life last night. I'm only 17 so I'm doing alright. I'd love to be there but living way up here in Canada puts a damper on that!

10. MountainMan

HA! i lived in Toronto for 2 yrs also... i know thats not close either... but had to mention it

/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

You may want to ask your friends and family if they can recomend a "shade tree mechanic" . Lot cheaper then shop prices.

12. MountainMan

what do you mean by 'shade tree mechanic'? unfortunately i moved here few months ago and dont have family around, and only a couple friends so far... and they know jack..

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I ment local guy that does work on cars at his house. If you've only been there a short time, chances are you or the friends you met so far won't know any. Just a thought. Where are you located, maybe a member close to you would be willing to help.

14. MountainMan

Highlands Ranch, Colorado (30mins south of Denver)

15. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

isnt steve from highlands ranch?

16. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Engine swaps are not all that hard. My Dad and I did one last summer without knowing the first thing about how to do it. More elbow grease than anything. Of course it's a lot easier to do on a '68 with power nothing and no computer, wires, etc. than it would be on a newer model truck, but I'm sure the basic principles are still the same, you just have a lot more wires to keep track of. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif