Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Engine for STOMPER.... Yes, It's going to be a BBC!!! (pics)

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Greg72, Nov 26, 2006.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Since I don't have a shop to play in....the least I can do is post up pics of what is happening on my behalf in someone else's shop!! :wink1:

Here are a few buildup pics of the new motor that will be going into my '72 this Spring, along with some other drivetrain changes (see .sig). I'm thinking that a decent anti-wrap bar is going to be needed almost immediately after this transplant is completed. :usaflag:

This is going to be a sweet roller-cam 502BBC, and is being built by fellow CK5'er and engine builder extrordanaire Scott Smith (aka 4X4HIGH)....his shop, his expertise, his photos....which I blatantly stole and posted here! :D

Enjoy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2006
  2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

nice Greg,

I'm beginning to think all 1st gens need a big block. I better start saving

3. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

That is a pretty motor, but before i had my blazer i built this vette with a BBC.
    I will never own one again. Yes its great in a story, and yes its great in the rig, but man the $$$$$ it takes to build horsepower is scary.

You could build 3 high horsepower SBC for the price of 1 BBC

I'm all SBC now and always will be.

Here's $12k and i cut corners.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was just reading what i wrote and i sounded a little rude, so i decided to edit the end here.0
    I love that motor your building, I was just making a point that unless you have unlimited funds its a tough way to go, and thats just my opinion.

4. Greg72

Yeah.....I think you have a little more HP going on in that Vette than I will have with my 502. :D

With something as heavy as a K5, it's not about HP anyway.....it's all about TQ!! This motor will put down 550 Lb/Ft of TQ and by the time it's done and installed (even with custom TBI) the whole bill should be less than $5000.

Not too bad.....methinks. :usaflag:

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

well my sub will have a 396, 427 or 434 but in a small block package.

6. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

$5k sounds pretty fair to me. Your gonna love that engine. My 454 is pretty mild and puts huge smiles on my face each time I hit the throttle.

7. Greg72

I hope so..... remember when I first bought the '72K5 (many years ago) and it supposedly had a 427BBC in it?? :mad: Maybe this will finally give me the "ooomph" that the current low-compression 396 just can't deliver...

Gearing will still only be 4.10 in the axles, so the engine really needs to "step up" in this configuration.

:usaflag:

8. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

I will say there is no substitute for cubic inches and a 502 is a great start. I just cant see how you can build one for $5k. Maybe prices have come down since i did that 427. And maybe it's a little jealousy on my part cause i couldn't afford to build another BBC :wink1:

I'm into my brand new 330hp crate SBC driving for less than $3k. but even a mild 502 will close to double the torque of my 350

when i blew the old motor in this rig, i was so close to pulling that 427 and dropping it into the blazer. It just wasn't street friendly eough for me.

9. Greg72

I got very lucky and found a rebuildable (but complete) 502 for cheap... :deal:

After that, I had to pay for crank grinding and re-nitriding, block honing, and a master rebuild kit. Basically, the same stuff you'd expect to need for almost any engine rebuild. Having a good friend that also happens to be a talented machinist helps a lot too...

This is one of those rare times for me when I found a deal that actually turned out to BE a deal once I owned it and started to look into it more closely....usually, I'm the guy who jumps on a "good deal" and then finds out there is a lot more money to spend to get what I really was expecting.

10. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

Im just glad to see that motor is going to be used. :D

IMO youll love it. I love my 454 in my trail rig. I pulled Jerrys sami up part of tank this weekend and I didnt even notice he was back there. :haha:

11. destinbeachman

destinbeachman 1/2 ton status

BBC cost

They CAN be had for that price.My low compression truck 427 was dirt cheap(1500 bucks) and since I rebuilt it-stroker(454)crank,pistons,newer closed chamber oval-port heads p@p with the big valves,Lunati Voodoo cam,Edelbrock RPM airgap manifold,MSD billet dist,and some odds and ends I still have less than 6 in it.Of course,within weeks of installing it,I smoked the TH350:D So now I have a built tranny as well.Comes with the BBC territory,I figure.And I'm still running 4.10s as well with 37s(soon to be 40 or 41s).I think it's pretty sweet that we're seeing so many BBC swaps into first gens.-Allen

12. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

:doah:
    Glad to see im not the only one. I didn't want to put a crate in mine, but had no choice when i blew the old motor to pieces. Got it all up and going 2 weeks later i lost the tranny. I was kinda wondering if the rear end would follow so b4 it could i put the 14 bolt under it.

13. 72burb

72burb Registered Member

I'm also going the 502 route, but I'm doing the crate, HT502, in a 71 Sub.
    What exhaust headers are you going with, and/or what other top end accessories?

14. Greg72

Have you seen this graph before??? It's a comparison I did of the various 502 crate motors from GM. The HT502 was an engine I considered early on, but the factory graphs of it's power are pretty misleading. They changed the scale for HP/TQ to make it look a lot more impressive than it truly is when compared "apples to apples" on a common scale like the one below

[​IMG]

Something worth considering.....

The 502 is going to be getting the Holley Commander 950 TBI setup. I haven't found many local experts on that system, but it's a laptop based system and is supposed to be a very nice GUI. All I will really need is an engine or chassis dyno to program in the fuel maps once the engine is complete.

I'm also trying to determine if I should do a cam swap to better utilize the flexibility of the TBI system. Supposedly lobe separation can be different and produce better power, and still be very driveable.

:dunno:

15. 72burb

72burb Registered Member

Thanks for the chart on your comparison... I haven't slapped down the cash on the HT, yet... so now I'll do some more homework!

16. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

The HT502 looks like a dog because of the tiny cam that comes in it. I believe that it also comes with peanut port type heads, which are pretty much useless. The engine was also available as a TBI 454 replacement, complete with PROM. Many people under-cam the 502. If you look over at 454ss.com there are several people running 496-502 engines with and without factory TBI. There is some pretty good mild BBC tech over there if you dig deep enough.

Greg- A roller cam 502 will make more than enough power and torque, just make sure you give it some decent heads and enough cam to keep up with the cubes. You should be able to make 550 lb-ft at the wheels with that many cubes. At the least, I'd consider the GMPP 454SS hot cam as the smallest I would run. You'd probably be better off with a little more cam than that, many of the 454SS guys are running more than that with (modified) factory TBI.

17. toy4fun

toy4fun 1/2 ton status

502 Cool!!
    I bet it will pass anything on the road but a gas station, wish I had a 1st gen:D

18. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

greg i think you like BBC's judging from ur sig:haha: :bow:

what kind of #'s does the 632 put out?:eek1:

19. Greg72

Scott Shafiroff makes a pump gas version of the 632 that does:

Horsepower[​IMG] - 900 @ 6200 RPM
    Torque[​IMG] - 845 @ 4600 RPM

I don't own it (yet)....no point spending that money until everything else on the K5 is finished.

Even in a 5000Lb K5, it should still move right along. :wink1:

20. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

:woot: :saweet: :thumb: :pimp1: :deal: :cool: :waytogo: :bow: :crazy: :yikes:

those say it all