Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New engine please...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BranndonC, Oct 23, 2002.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i mentioned before that i can get an LS1 and i'm still thinking about it.... i found 383 Stroker but it's pric and it has a cast iron crank shaft and i heard those might break compaired to a steel one. Where as the LS1 has the steel shaft and a 6 bolt someting or other. If i can get the LS1 does anyone see any other incompabilites? i would use it with my current 700R4 and maybe get the computer set up for it.

2. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

If you really want a stroker, check this one out, has a 3 year/unlimited mileage warranty, and its cheaper!

3. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

but i gotta pass smog and don't know how to tell if that one will.

4. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

no inspector can tell if it is a 307, 305, 400, 350, 400, 327, nothing.

As far as i know, they only care about the number of cylinders and in trucks, big block or small block.

if you keep ALL EGR equipment, it will pass. if not, you will fail.

this is all "to the best of my knowledge" information.

5. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

and would all that power be bad on my little 10 bolt? i was gonna get a dana 44 but some people have told me that it wasn't much beter than my 10 boly.

6. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Just get a 14 bolt 6 lug Semi-Floater like me. That way you can keep your wheels. I know where you can get one too. I blew out my 10 bolt and thats what im going to replace it with.

7. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

were and how much?

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Do some reading on motors and such. I really don't know much about the LS1's, but I'm betting carbing them kind of defeats the purpose.

Cast cranks for almost everyone on this list are perfectly fine. Friend runs cast cranks in 2 and 4 bolt 350's, and he blows the motors up fairly often, but as of yet, a crank has NEVER been the cause of a failure, (bolts shearing, studs breaking, etc of course) and this is running at 6000-7000RPM's all night.

9. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i have TBI and wouldn't that work with it? i don't know enough to know weather or not i'd have to "carb it"

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

YOu can probably make it work with TBI, but the amount of power they get out of those motors, and the way they run, is only really possible IMO with injection, specifically sequential.

It just doesn't make sense to me to take a really strong motor and "choke" it with something restrictive or that harms its original performance....they don't have a torque "curve" that reads like a topgraphic map of the Midwest because of old technology.

11. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Look into Sunset racecraft in Lubbock, TX. They make a 383 Stroker and it comes with Edelbrock MPI. Last time I checked the engine is around $4,300 w/ MP. I can look up the part numbers and whatnot if you want. The engine puts out about 375hp and 450tq. Its what I have in my '90 and I love it /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif