Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Engine time...which crate engine to buy...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by lehtola, Apr 16, 2002.

1. lehtola

lehtola 1/2 ton status

O.K. been a year since I posted on this topic but it really is time for me to put a new powerplant in my Jimmy...a lifter is collapsed and things are going down hill...I was originally going to get the GM 383 crate...but man are they expensive...I'm gonna keep my TBI and thought about the 330 HP 380 torque 350 for $2100...get the new intake to accept my TBI and be done with it...looking for suggestions...I know some of you have put the zz4 in and some have put the 330 HP in...maybe I need to just put a stock crate in it...I dunno now...suggestions anyone? O.K...maybe I should just go with the stock crate engine...5 year 50,000 mile right? I could do that and just put headers on it. But then again...ram jet 350...(thinking out loud). I need a complete setup...nothing that is going to require I change out my 10 bolt just yet...I've been waiting for the engine to go out so I could put something better in it....Now is the time.

2. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I recently went with the stock crate and then enhanced it myself. I swapped the cam for a good CompCame xtreme 4x4 cam (235) with new lifters, springs and timing chain set. I also went with roller tip rockers for more efficiency. I added an Edelbrock Performer intake (I have a carb and needed EGR for legality) and Hooker Headers. I estimate it is pushing about 300-330 HP now. I am definitely pleased with the performance and power gain over my old 170k mile 305.

If you discount all the aluminum accessories and other dress-up stuff I got for the engine, my total bill was around $2500. and I have the satisfaction of knowing I basically built this motor as I had to tear down everything but the crank and pistons to build it up with my components.

If you've got the time, get a basic crate and build it up from there the way you want. If you don't have the time but do have the money, go with the 330HP or the 383. I know my next motor will definitely be a 383.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Don't forget to budget for the fuel injection upgrade. Your TBI was designed for an engine that makes 200 HP. It doesn't have the ability to feed an engine that's trying to make 330 HP. That's a 65% increase in power, which requires a corresponding 65% increase in fuel flow. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

4. lehtola

lehtola 1/2 ton status

I'm getting a gm crate...how have you all set yours up? what kind of headers to get etc. Dawson444 has the 330 HP...anyone else? The stock 350 block and the 330 HP crate should be the same...but the exhaust manifold will have to be changed bc of the vortec heads...am I right on this?

5. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

if you wanna keep your TBI, the cheapest and easiest way to go is a stock replacement. Otherwise I would look into a repuable builder near you and also possibly a contact to some FI companies that can burn chips. A holley TBI will handle you power needs and superchips can burn you a chip if there is not a chip maker local. Cam selection is the biggest key in keeping the stock computer happy

6. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

definately the ram jet 502. I'm assuming you have unlimited funds? /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

7. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

502 502
    502 502 502
    grant

8. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

The intake and LH manifold will need to be changed. The intake has a different bolt patern and the exhaust manifold for the vortec has a port cast into it supply egr. Also from the dealer, get the pipe that goes from the exhaust to the intake.
    If you get all the correct parts it will be a bolt in deal. You will also need a new calibrator.
    Jim

9. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Listen to the guys who are trying warn you about The stock TBI and performance engines. The computer doesn't like cams with too much lift and duration. The stock TBI wont flow enough air and fuel to develop the power the engine is capable of. The basic crate HP 350 is designed for use with a Carb. They usually dont run well on a computer without a reprogramed chip.
    Here are a couple of crate engines designed for a TBI <a target="_blank" href=http://www.sdpc2000.com/cart.asp?action=catalog_start&amp;catid=1577> sdpc2000 TBI engines</a>
    I dont think you will get the claimed hp out of a stock TBI. But the cam profile will good run on a stock or aftermarket stage 1 or 2 chip in the computer.
    Here's a site with mods for the stock TBI <a target="_blank" href=http://www.turbocity.com/TBIPowerMain.htm> turbocity.com</a>
    I have used some of their stuff and it works pretty much as claimed.

10. roostr3269

roostr3269 1/2 ton status

I agree with laketex and seventyfourblazer. I went with the R.J. 502. It isnt running yet, I just hope it lives up to the numbers it puts out. But as in anything, go with what u think will work for your rig and driving style.