Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Engine time

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KrebsATM02, Nov 27, 2000.

1. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

Ok people the 350 TBI is smoking pretty good now. It only has 125,000 miles on it. I have heard of people getting 180,000 on them and not having a problem. Oh well though i guess the inevitable is hear though. I want to keep the TBI setup but i want a little more horsepower. Are there any crate engines that are adaptable to this? I want to keep it kinda cheap, and i can do all the installation and etc... my self. Any help or knowledge would be appreciated. Thanks

Doug Krebs

2. mrivan

mrivan 1/2 ton status

I put a 454 in my 81 2wd Blazer and really like it ,had it out on the forest service roads today bird and mushroom hunting .The big block has loads of low end power,with 2 1/2 " inch exaust and glass packs will stir your heart as it rumbles along.It's an easy conversion.
    Mrivan........

Ford people wear shorts and sandels.............

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

There is no cheap way to add horsepower. If you modify the engine(compression ratio, cam, heads,ect) and want to keep the TBI you have to get a reprogramed prom chip.A bigger TBI will be in order and more fuel pressure, larger injectors to bring out the power that a modified engine will produce.
    If you want to keep it cheap, just get a good 4 bolt crate TBI engine that matches your year. Add any or all of these: headers, Performance exaust, open element K&N filter, A hypertech or Jet chip. MSD 6al ignition box. This will give you a very good jump in power and torque and should not cost much more more than $2500 total. I have these mods on My stock 89 350 and am very satisified with the power.
    I know 2500 is not cheap but as my engine builder says" Speed costs money.How fast do you want to go?"

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Cheapest and easiest way to get power is probably supercharging your 350. All you need is like 3 lbs of boost, and you get like 50-75 more HP.

BTW, Mushroom hunting?! Ain't that a bit dangerous?

5. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

the cheapest and easiest way is NOT to add a supercharger......js

6. BigBadBowTie

BigBadBowTie 1/2 ton status

I absolutly love my 383 I had built locally, although there are crate versions available, even from GM! Machine Shop estimates Hp over 400, torque over 425.

SPECS

350 Chevy 4 bolt main
    Scat Crank (Part # 9-350-3750-5700)
    Chevy 6.00" Rods
    Keith Black Pistons (Part # KB121)
    Vortec Heads
    Competiton Cams Roller Tip Rockers (Part # 1417-16)
    Competiton Cams Valve Springs (Part # 981-16)
    Competiton Cams CamShaft (Part # CS X4 262H-11)
    Edelbrock Performer Vortec Intake Mainifold (Part # 2116)
    Quadrajet-Stock 795 CFM
    JBL Shorty Stainless Steel Block Hugger Headers
    Hooker 2 1/2" Mandrell-Bent Dual Exhaust
    Flowmaster 3 Chamber Mufflers

<font color=purple>Rick
    86 K-5</font color=purple>

http://www.BigBadBowTie.ColoradoK5.com