Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new engine (valves tapping?)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TIGHTWORK82 K5, Sep 18, 2002.

1. TIGHTWORK82 K5

TIGHTWORK82 K5 1/2 ton status

the valves are tapping, the guy at the engine shop says to wait for a couple hundred miles to adjust them??? does that sound right? also when I do adjust them what is best hot (covers off engine runnin) or cold degrieng the cam???

2. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

i do all my small block chevy's cold starting with #1 at top dead center. I do em all at 0 degrees, wich is a little loose, how i do it is by turning the nut until there is friction on the push rod(turn the push rod while turning the nut). if you want to get it to spec go 1/8 of a turn tighter. its a pain to do but the best order is right down one head, then move to the next. there will be a lot of crank turning, just yank the plugs, and trun away.

3. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

i forgot to mention, loose valve train will usually result in a broken push rod, and you dont want those peices in the oil system or any where for that fact

4. twenty_below0

twenty_below0 1/2 ton status

The way I have always done mine and all my old school buddies taught me was tighten them down til they stop ticking then back them off, when they start ticking again "right as they start to tick" , stop , now tighten a 1/2 turn. I have seen many scenario's where the other methods dont give you a correct setting because of longer pushrods or studs loosening, I have also seen alot of GOOD mechanics use both methods, so to ea. his own. GOOD /forums/images/icons/grin.gif LUCK /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

5. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

I also adjust my valves using the same method--loosen nut until you hear ticking then tighten 1/2 turn. I tried to use the other method, but it takes too long and usually doesn't work well for me. I'm not knocking the "cold" method, it just isn't my preference.

Will

6. TIGHTWORK82 K5

right on! the hot method sounds better. I am sure the oil flings all over the place? I think some says there is a kit to plug the oil passages, I think it would be safer leting the oil flow for lube purpose, little messy but I got a hose! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

7. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Here is an article that I wrote on changing cams. There is an area on adjusting lifters. Hope it helps.

Cam Change

8. TIGHTWORK82 K5

thanks!!!!

9. Russell Keys

Russell Keys 1/2 ton status

To make the hot method cleaner, get an old set of valve covers and cut the tops off. Then just bolt them down and you should be good to go. Learned that trick from a buddy after I covered my newly painted engine and inner fenders with oil. Not to mention you won't smoke out the neighborhood.

10. TIGHTWORK82 K5

ya thats what I wanted to do. the engine shop tossed the old ones with the old 305. he said he would do it for me if I take to him but he lives 50 miles away. (engine shop guy)
    I also heard of using card board . guess anything to keep the flinging down to a min.

11. TIGHTWORK82 K5

Re: new engine (valves tapping?) update!!!!

well I found those clips that go over the oil passages. worked pretty good still had oil spillage after the rockers filled up, replaced the plug wires too. valves are quiet now. let it idle for 20 min to burn off oil. then drove about 5 miles. every thing seemed good at first but, on the way home it started to sputter when i got on it. kinda think it was a miss, like on of the plug wires came loose or maybe burned up on the header. they were some autozone el chepo 16.99 w/liftime warranty. but I think they are crap (get what you paid for) or it could be a valve hanging???? It desiled a little when i shut her down too? maybe timming needs adjusted since the valves were adjusted? o well its late and i am tired get a fresh start in the a.m. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

12. TIGHTWORK82 K5

Re: new engine (valves tapping?) update!!!!

yup it was a plug wire. #6 behind primary tubes guess i didnt push it on all the way . ran good for awile hmmm. test drove it this morning 20 miles or so runs like a champ no knocking. ran up on another k5 new to this area, up on 38 ss. looked sharp maybe he will show up here.
    /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

13. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

i am saving for a new crate 350 to toss my 305 now... i have only started to save and havent look at the cost yet [i got more to save haha] and iw as wondering how much one would run

14. TIGHTWORK82 K5

mine cost 3100 after taxes and spare parts ie, hoses belts gaskets. with a 5year 50,000 mile warranty. installed and they painted the engine and engine compartment. look up ryan engine exchange. thats the place! you should find it on a search.