Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Exhaust

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by solowookie, Apr 5, 2001.

1. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

wow, I mean WOW!!!

I've never put a custom exhaust in a vehicle before, and I was TOTALLY blown away by the difference it makes.

I put on Hooker super competition headers (wish now I would have done Thorley after I saw the Hookers, but they are really nice anyway), Flowmaster 40 series exhausts, no cataletic converter, smog pump stuff taken out, and a true dual exhaust.

Man, the truck sounds like a muscle car. It doesn't even sound or feel like the same truck. And what a power and torque difference. My cat. converter had almost no air flow. I'd bet I got at LEAST a 100% performance increase.

Thanks for all the recommendations I received on a previous post about my exhaust questions.

Jeff

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

congrats i love my duel exhaust and flowmasters

77blazer see it at<A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333>http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333</A>[​IMG]

3. timebomb1602

timebomb1602 1/2 ton status

yeah exhaust makes all the difference!! I had a 3 inch single from y pipe back with a flow and no converter. Now it sounds like a real truck:)

<font color=red>1991 GMC Jimmy, 350 tbi, stock for now, but not for long!!!</font color=red>

4. solowookie

The thing I love the most is how my wife blushes everytime I rev the engine.

I know my wife though, and I guarentee that in 2 months she'll be pulling up to stop signs etc. and reving the engine. :)

Jeff

5. doonjumper

doonjumper 1/2 ton status

Hookers and duel Flowmasters.....nice combo!

6. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Hey solowookie, how is the interior resonance?

7. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Hey timebomb what kind of flow did you use and how id the interior resonance?

8. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Hey timebomb what kind of flow did you use and how is the interior resonance?

9. solowookie

I bit louder then I would like, but I don't have any insulation or sound dampening effects in the back.

If you have a small pebble hit the tire well in the back it sounds like my truck got shot. I've already ordered everything to correct this and a carpet kit to go in the back.

You can actually tell that it is a lot quieter inside then out, and the tone is also a lot different. I'll let you know when I get the carpet kit and insulation etc. installed, but I think it will sound a lot quieter when it is all said and done.

It sounds so MEAN though... Not like glass packs at all... I'm very impressed, and about ready to put flow masters on my car too (if my wife will let me, which I really doubt... :)

Jeff

10. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

im runnin dual w/ magnaflow.
    thgeir really loud outside, quiet inside. thats w/ the hard top on, we will see w/ the soft top.
    1 point. i have magnaflow and my friend has 40 series flowmaster, and mine sounds the same, just making the point b/c sometimes people say magnaflow arent as loud, but mine are.
    but some arent i guess.
    also magnaflow does have a lot quieter indide noise. but flowmasters are still pretty awesome

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://confederate9.coloradok5.com/>http://confederate9.coloradok5.com/</A>
    <font color=red>K5: Because size DOES matter</font color=red>
    [​IMG]

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I love my Flowmasters, I just had my exhaust re-done (previous incarnation was pretty bashed) and i went with the 40 series as well but this time i had it all custom bent up real high and out of the way of everything. I don't have any carpet either and it does drone a little inside...but it sure turns some heads when i get on it a bit! Sure gets some funny looks especially when someone hears the truck before they see it [​IMG] they always do a double take!

Rene

[​IMG]<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jules.coloradok5.com>http://jules.coloradok5.com</A>

12. timebomb1602

timebomb1602 1/2 ton status

it a flowpro [generic flowmaster from muffler man] and it does resonate quite a bit but, that just gives you a reason for a louder stereo!:)))) <font color=red>the resonation is only real loud around 2800 to 3500 rpm</font color=red>

<font color=red>1991 GMC Jimmy, 350 tbi, stock for now, but not for long!!!</font color=red>

13. solowookie

I already WANT a louder stereo... :) I've got about $3500 in my car system, and I want one in my truck REALLY bad... :)

I also got boom tubes (3 in slanted tips). I took it to my mechanic to show it off, and he was WAY jealous... He's got a flow master exhaust system also, but he has stock headers. He hates me now (until I give him my work... :)

I think the hooker headers and everything else really worked out great.

Jeff

14. solowookie

You know what, it's only been 2 days with the new exhaust. My wife is already starting to really rev the engine to hear it... :) Maybe I will get flow masters in my car... :0

Jeff