Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new exhaust.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Confederate9, Aug 22, 2000.

1. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

i know i have been preaching about flowmaster, but i think my mind has jsut been changed. i was going to go straigh out the back w/ 2 cats but in nc that illegal. so i think i am going 1 pipe into a high performance cat then into a magnaflow muffler and out w/ 2 pipes.
    my mind was changed from flowmaster to magnaflow due to the warrenty and the returns. the "muffler man" said he has lots of problems w/ flowmaster and that magnaflow has a lifetime warrenty. any thoughts?

Confederate's w/ K5's!
    '85 K5: BIG BAD AND MEAN
    "DONT BE PROUD IF IT AINT LOUD!"

2. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

I haven't had any problems with my Flowmasters (3 chamber), of course they are on my 74 Nova. sb350 (not stock), headers, about a 2 1/2 inch exhaust. No cats though. I have had them for about 3-4 years + now. - Steve

Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

3. GMC4by4

GMC4by4 Registered Member

Yeah, I have that magnaflow setup on my '89 350 with a 3" high fow cat and 2-2 1/2 muffler outlets". It sounds and runs great!! The truck has a nice low rumble but it's not so loud that you can't hear the person next to you. It doesn't have that annoying highway drone either.

-Rick

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I've got the 3 chamber 2 1/2" Flowmasters and have had them on my truck for 3 years, they sound great, and still in great shape. The previous exhaust lasted just 18 months before it rotted out. I have no doubt this exhaust will last at least 5 years, those mufflers are well built. Just my opinion but I think you can't beat the sound of flowmasters!
    As far as drone on the freeway, I can't hear my exhaust over the tires [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

You just descrbed my exhaust setup. I have single into a high flow cat (3"), and single 3" into a ManaFlow muffler with dual 2 1/2" out. I then have my tailpipes angled down behind the rear tires with a stainless steel tip on each.

Where in NC do you live? My dad might sell the mufflers and cat to the muffler shop your talking to.

89 K5 Silverado
    http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com

6. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Uhh dude, I live in Raleigh, NC and a ton of the people at my school have flowmasters on their trucks, dual that come straight out the back, and it looks like it is 2". Either I am getting something wrong or people don't care about the laws.

Dawson
    88 K5

7. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

Hey
    I just got a new cat and flowmasters put in with 3 inch pipe all the way through and alltough i have never had anything else except the stock unit i reall like the way that i sounds and works, i noticed a big change in off the line power after it was put in. i also put in dynamat, heat shield and new carpet in and when you sit inside it is not loud at all compared to what's coming out of the back.
    anthony

8. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

What do you mean by breaking the law? Majority of trucks out there run duals straight out the back just not on blazers or you'll get more fumes than the Ozone. If your refering to them not having any cats then yea they are breaking the law. Although, I'm not quite sure what year range it is, but some of the older trucks it is legal not to run cats. I know on my dads 78 he didn't have to have cats.

89 K5 Silverado
    http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com

9. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

i live in greensboro nc
    and getting ym exaust done at serve u service center in gibsonville

Confederate's w/ K5's!
    '85 K5: BIG BAD AND MEAN
    "DONT BE PROUD IF IT AINT LOUD!"