Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New fish... I need some experienced help.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by warcat, Apr 3, 2005.

1. warcat

warcat Registered Member

Just bought a 1987 K5. 350 TBI. Last owner says it has 112 k miles.
    Engine smokes a good bit when it is first started, but
    after 5 secs or so, it stops. Doesn't smoke again until
    you start it again. Any ideas on the prob?

Also, service engine soon light comes on after about 40 mins or so of driving.
    Goes off when truck is turned off, and even if i start it again immediately, the light won't come on for another 40 mins. Any ideas on this prob?

Been looking for a roll bar/ cage. Can't really find any. Do I need to have one
    custom made, or is there a bolt on out there I just haven't found yet??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

the smoke on start up is typical, im willing to bet that more than half the people that reads this post trucks smoke.

it is caused by worn valve seals. or the rings could be fried but its most likely the valve seals

3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

the smoke is valve seals... exceptionally common on sb chevys..

as for the light, don't know... could be O2 or something.. i'd check and see if its throwing any codes... http://www.cfm-tech.com/gm_tbi_trouble_codes.htm

as for the cage.. not sure, most fab their own... Smittybuilt may make one.. sure someone else will chime in...

4. tomy

tomy Registered Member

My '89 did the same thing. In my case it was the EGR valve triggering the check engine light. I replaced the valve and that seemed to solve the problem.

5. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

I would guess valve seals for the smoke, might try an additive to swell the seals.

For the cage, i got a S&W kit. They give discounts for members. I havent installed it yet because it needs a bit more fabrication then I thought. Hopefully this summer I will get it all in.

http://www.swracecars.com/

6. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

Heh... i had blow-by on my 327 when I got it... the shop and everyone else thought it was a bad valve seal or a worn out gasket somewhere... turned out to be a cracked in half intake manifold that was causing it. Had I just taken the damn thing off to begin with, I would have not needed to buy a new engine... or rebuild the 327...