Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New flight guidelines

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fubeca, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

From the TSA website.

Okay - I am generally pretty supportive of most measures trying to keep us safe - but can someone explain how this is really going to keep us safe?

The way I read it - you can't bring water through security, if you buy water in the secure zone - you still can't bring it on to a plane. But if it is in a small bottle with an RX looking label you're fine?

It doesn't seem to be able to stop anyone who is intent on doing bad things, just us normal people who want to fly in comfort. I'm looking forward to major delays tomorrow flying home - while everyone checks their bags.

At least we won't have to wait around while people try and stuff their huge roller bag in the overhead :rolleyes: .

2. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

I guess the liquid explosive option caught their attention. Or hazmat.

3. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Yeah - the guys they arrested in the UK were planning to use some form of liquid explosives. It is just always interesting to see the response - sometimes it makes sense - but sometimes not so much.

4. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

I'm just happy we caught someone, but I do wonder now if someone slipped through, whether from the UK or elsewhere.

5. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I would think that it has to do with quantity. An RX bottle with two ounces in it may not contain enough of whatever Liquid the TSA is looking for to cause any damage.

Me personally, I don't see any reason to second guess the TSA or Homeland Security over whether or not I can bring a water bottle on board. Now if they were instituting mandatory body cavity searches for all passenger I may become more concerned.:D

6. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

What kind of preventative measures do they have for detecting chemical/biological weapons? :thinking:

7. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

It won't. And in other news, the stuff they've already spent billions on won't either. It's only real intent is to make you THINK you're safe.

*start of gratuitous rant*

Hopefully this new restriction will only be in place for a few days. Not being able to drink water on a plane, which is a massively dehydrating experience, hopefully will bring lawsuits as soon as someone gets sick and the TSA will get some sense into their knee-jerk, minute-late-and-dollar-short, pea-brained heads.

They are sooo freaking overboard with this security BS I can't stand it.:mad: Every time we spend a fortune on this stuff the terrorists win. We'd be better off spending it on intel. Nobody caught these latest yahoos at the airport at security. And my guess they wouldn't have, if they'd tried this in the U.S. Really, if you think about it, has ANY terror threat been discovered at security gate checks, anywhere in the U.S.??? You know they'd publicize it if they had. :rolleyes:

If carry-on luggage screening can't detect explosives, who's to say someone can't put an explosive in something that ISN'T liquid or gel? Like sew it into their clothing, or into a key or into the luggage itself. Pretty soon we'll have to fly with no luggage, no computers, no phone, no clothes. And if you've seen some of the travelers I have and picture them nekkid... THAT's terrorism. :eek1::eek1::eek1:

8. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

I'm sure they'll serve beverages on the plane, and use that to get around any lawsuits about dehydration.

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

my favorite thing about this whole thing is that we all know that the screener guy is going to spend most of his time harassing middle-aged white soccer moms and grandpas (also white) all the while waving the 25 year old middle eastern guys right through.... can't have the impression of profiling!!! Idiots. Terrorists could come in any flavor... but until we see a wave of soccer moms blowing up planes, how about we focus on the group MUCH more likely to be a problem?

this is one of those issues that is a total "duh!" to average americans... but won't be addressed because the likes of the ACLU etc.

all that said, I'm glad they are starting to get tougher on the regs... the Israeli airline is hardcore about this kind of stuff... and in spite of all the jew-hatred out there they don't have any issues on planes these days. Definitely a model to follow.

j

10. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Hell, if we ran things like El Al 9/11 never would have happened in the first place.

11. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

I'm waiting for the day that 25 or so terrorists down whole bottles of Uncle Jose's Hot Sauce before boarding the plane. That is pure terror right there. The explosion would be catastrophic. Taco Bell will be banned within hours.

12. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Skigirl, I'm with you 100% on this. The 5 hr delay we took for weather last month would have been miserable if I hadn't brought my own food and drink. The airline sure as hell isn't going to make sure you a few extra drinks on the flight because of this.

First, no pocket knives (yes, I'm still pissed about that). Now, no liquid (so much for staying hydrated, or slapping on a little smell good after the flight, no lipstick for the girls either). I heard a ban on car remotes is also being looked at. I guess belts and shoelaces will be next. This is such BS.

13. bigjbear

-minor hijack- If you're like me & want to carry a pocket knife, corkscrews are allowed (well, as of yesterday they were) as long as they don't have a knife blade on them. Just remember to throw it into the dish so the thieves (sorry, I meant TSA agents) can fondle it. If it's a metal one like mine it will set off the magnetometer.

14. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

So you want to carry a knife but carry a corkscrew instead?

I'm pretty sad about pocket knifes too. They are prohibited in most of the buildings I work in.

Of course right now I'm in Texas - I think I could get away with a toad stabber strapped to my leg in this office. :)

15. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Yea bigjbear, somebody mentioned the airlines would provide water. Good luck with that. They run out of water now all the time. No room to store it. Don't expect there will be any more room any time soon.

The thing TSA never looks at is BIC pens. They'll take my 3" wooden cuticle stick (looks like a toothpick) like it was a WMD, but let Ahmed walk on board with a BIC pen. Put one of those in someone's ear, just as good as a gun. Better than a knife.

And I'm still curious as to how a nail clipper could assist with taking over a plane... or threaten even an old lady... "OK! This is a hijacking! Nobody move or we cut the old lady's nails!"

A friend of mine pointed out that they have to do all this ridiculous stuff to cover their a$$es, and I can't argue with that. So maybe it isn't TSA that I should rant about. If someone were to get on board and use a weapon and we didn't have gate security, the President's administration (whichever party was in office), because of all the freakin irresponsible baby whiners we have in this country who think it's everyone's job to protect their useless life-sucking whiner lives would never let it go. The lawsuits would never end.

Oh, and those are the same people who think we should spend equal time strip searching soccer moms and old ladies but let Ahmed walk thru with his book, How to Complete a Successful Jihad on U.S. Airlines

Boy, I'm just chock full of rant today...

16. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

Old Trick I learned in SERE school and still use to this day, you can sharpen the edge of an ID card or a credit card sharp enough to cut someone pretty deep. With 1000 Grit sandpaper, you can do it in about 30 minutes, and it is barely noticable. One of my Bank of America credit card is done like this. Very, very easy to slit a throat with one of these. You can do it with an ID card too. I'd like to see 'em ban ID cards next. That'll finally give them the excuse they've been wanting to put barcodes on our necks. But if one of those got loose on a plane, you could slit a neck or two, induce panic, and have control in no time with a sharpened credit card.

17. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

Uh, they have the overhead compartments to store water in now...

18. bigjbear

Yes, and it serves most of the functions that I would use a knife for on most days. I have modified it a little, though. Corkscreews have gone onto and off the "no-fly list" twice that I know of. So after this they may be a no-no again.

I tried the credit card thing years ago as well. It makes a great cutting blade, but that is about it.

19. bigjbear

The hell with a Bic, they still let me take my Cross pen. It's made of stainless steel.

I've got an old pair of nail clippers that have a knife blade on them. It is a real knife, not the cheesy one new clippers have. So maybe that is where it came from-most of Congress is old after all. Either way it's still stupid.

20. bigjbear

This will not stop people for taking giant cary-ons.