Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New free Anti-Spyware tool

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Goober, Jan 8, 2005.

1. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Sorry Goober, but what does the "beta" part mean?
    Thanks

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Beta means it is a pre release program. It is not in its final form. They build it and give it out to the public. So they can find out how it works and what is wrong with it.
    Software companies release Beta forms for testing and to get feedback from users(guinea pigs). They use the feedback for their final tweeks so they can get it work with (most) all systems without causing problems or conflicts.

Besure you read all the disclaimers and such before installing beta programs.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

eh I wouldn't trust Microsoft with that or AntiVirus. Their loopholes in programming security are the reason these things are so rampant to begin with. Not to mention I noticed an odd program running yesterday so I went and searched for it online, turns out it was the Microsoft Windows Auto Update(which I have disabled, I want to know whats being installed damnit). Got to love that it goes ahead and does what it likes despite my choices. Before you know it Microsoft will be like car companies, you aren't really buying the product you are technically renting their property.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

eh I wouldn't trust Microsoft with that or AntiVirus. Their loopholes in programming security are the reason these things are so rampant to begin with. Not to mention I noticed an odd program running yesterday so I went and searched for it online, turns out it was the Microsoft Windows Auto Update(which I have disabled, I want to know whats being installed damnit). Got to love that it goes ahead and does what it likes despite my choices. Before you know it Microsoft will be like car companies, you aren't really buying the product you are technically renting their property.

6. rerun93

rerun93 Registered Member

yeah beta means not finsihed product. basically u are a ginnie pig using the program tell they get all the bugs out then they charge for it. so beta is always nice cause its free(well not always but most of the time)

7. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

We have used it at work and it works great. It wasn't a Microsoft product until they bought the parent corp recently. The software we had was from the original company and it solved a problem that nothing else could. I heard Microsoft was going to release it themselves, but didn't realize it happened already.

8. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

microsoft didnt make it 1% Giant did (from what i understand from tech tv) and microsoft just bought it and re badged it

9. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

What the heck, let me stir the mud up a bit.;)

Yup, they can't really take credit for it.

Software Development Cycles:

Microsoft (and most other software developers) develop their products in stages. Once a product has gone through the initial product development stage and the programmers are comfortable with the basic design it goes into the Alpha testing phase. Alpha testing is where you act as the guinea pig and figure out if the program is going to blow up or not. Once they figure out that the application will run and function properly it is sent to the BETA testing phase. That is where the software is released to as large of an audience as possible to check compatability on different platforms and under different OS configurations. Most BETA software does not contain all the "bells-and-whistles" that the final product will include but the functionality is generaly complete. Once the BETA testing is complete (and hopefully all the bugs are worked out) then it's time to put together a Release Candidate (RC). A Release Candidate is a packaging of the product that is produced to perform a final check of the software functionality, install routine, uninstall routine and overall product design. Many times a company will go through more than 1 Release Candidate (i.e. RC1, RC2, RC3, etc.) before they make a final decision on what to send out to the public.

So, BETA software is midway through the development stages and can generally be considered to be functioning. Make sure you read any licensing agreement that comes up when you install BETA software. Usually you will find a statement in there that says something like: "If this software blows your machine up and you lose your entire lifes work then you can't blame us, sue us or get any help from us at all." That's why most freeware products are described as BETA software.

I run various versions of this scanner on a number of different machines at home (including VM's, but that's another story) and have had very few problems with it. Even the Alpha versions are relatively stable. It's really pretty simple in design and does a pretty good job digging up the nasty stuff. I wouldn't rely on any single application (especially a pre-release product) to protect my systems but this one is a good addition to the arsenal. Spyware/Adware/Virus scanning isn't exactly rocket science and the applications that perform it are relatively simple. That being said, your experience may be different.:whistle: The good news is that the uninstall routine works really good and it's easy to remove. :saweet:

Look for this Spyware tool to be included in future OS versions and/or service packs.

For the "I don't trust Microsoft" folks:

Microsoft operating systems are designed to be used on millions of different types of hardware and can be configured to do many things (like get software updates) automatically. Almost every feature of ANY Windows operating system can be simply turned off or disabled. Unfortunately since there are so many different pieces involved it may take a little more than just checking a simple yes/no box ... depending on what feature you want to change/disable you may actually have to learn how to do it properly by **gasp** reading a book or looking it up on the web. If your computer doesn't work properly then blame the person who configured it.:doah: Millions of people run Windows everyday without any problems. If you do have problems then there are excellent places to get help .... like http://www.coloradok5.com . :woot:

If you just don't trust Microsoft software at all and believe that Bill Gates is the anti-christ [​IMG] then shut your cake-hole :D and go out and get yourself a FREE copy of Linux: http://www.linux.org/

It's faster, FREE, more flexable, alot more fun and you get a cute little mascot to go with it. Oh, by the way, did I mention that it's FREE ?
    [​IMG]
    .... but you still have to configure it properly or it will take a crap on you, too.

I've been running and supporting Microsoft operating systems since the first versions of DOS were released (still have copies of the older ones if anyone wants to check them out) and I can point out quite a few places where they just didn't seem to pull their head out of their rectum. They have gotten better in the past few years and they still have a ways to go but I still believe that Windows is one of the best choices for the "average Joe" to use as an operating system. A Macintosh is the only other "real" option. They are EXCELLENT machines but they are much more expensive and even more proprietary that PC's.

As for the security of Windows: Windows NT was a giant step up but didn't quite cut the mustard. Windows 2000 and newer (including XP and Win2k3) is as secure as you want to make it. I would put a properly configured Windows box up against a properly configured Unix, Linux, Solaris, FreeBSD, OSX, (insert your favorite OS here) machine any day of the week. As a matter of fact ... that IS what I do, every day!

Now for the fun stuff:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]