Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

(New Freewheeling Feature) Transfer Case Pops Into Neutral

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by SeattleGuy, Mar 6, 2002.

1. SeattleGuy

SeattleGuy Newbie

Mar 6, 2002
    I just purchased a 94 full size blazer (70k miles) with the np241 transfer case. It will violently pop out of 2H into neutral under 2 situations. 1)From a stop, punching the throttle while the transmission is in reverse. 2)suddenly removing power while coasting downhill. (or manually dropping into drive from overdrive while decelerating.)
    I have tried various linkage adjustments to no avail. My engine and transmission mounts are in fine shape. I plan on tearing into it next week and was wondering if anybody had any thoughts on the subject.
    Thanks in advance.
  2. lt1yj

lt1yj 1/2 ton status

Oct 7, 2001
    Just replaced mine with the same problem. I tore it apart and it's actually a very simple fix. The little plastic wear strips on the shift fork wear out and that allows the "mode shaft" to move while the lever is still engaged. The "mode shaft" is the part that slides on the main shaft and engages the sun gear for 1:1 or the planet carrier for 2.72:1 reduction. The outside splines on the mode shaft were damaged on mine and it needed to be replaced. The shift fork looked good. Carefully check the planet carrier splines, the mode shaft, and the shift fork for wear or damage.

Should take about 4 hours to remove, dissassemble, reassemble and reinstall. One little note: Use Ultra Black or Ultra Blue permatex. The other permatex is not compatable with ATF. It will eat it and then you'll get leaks. Take it from someone who learned the hard way.