Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new garage (welders)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by tecton, Feb 13, 2004.

1. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

my parents are building a new house with a *gasp* garage, this means all my little ideas for things can come true *tear in eye*

so im wanting to get a welder with some money i have laying around. I dont need something incredible, but something that will let me do alot of "vehicle" related things. Bumpers, cage, things like that.

i know i want a mig welder, if thats the one that those retards at the muffler shops use

what should i look for when getting one? i am totally clueless about this, i know how welding works, ive seen it done 1000 times, read about it...i just dont know crap about the actual machines

2. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

You can get a nice Lincoln mig welder from Summit for 300.00. Welds up to 1/8 inch thick steel.For 479.00 you can get one that will do 1/4 thick steel.......... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

The first thing you want to do is learn how to use it. Take a class or get a book. Next, you need to find out how much jack you have laying around cause the theory is to buy the biggest machine you can with the jack you have.

Now the next thing to do is kind of cloudy, but you could always click this link. It will show you that this topic has been covered a few times. And last but not least, you might notice that there actually is a forum here where this stuff has been discussed in the past, that might even give ya a bigger hint. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif