Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new gear break in..... how and duration???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by alaskanbowtie, Mar 29, 2004.

1. alaskanbowtie

alaskanbowtie 1/2 ton status

The paper I have says to drive easy for 15 miles then let cool then another 15 let cool. Then to drive "easy for 500 miles,. Also not to tow for 500 miles and when you do to go through the 15 mile series again. So I'm wondering how everyone feels about this and the break in process you use ,if any? Also wondering about the front gears, how does this work with them?? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Thats pretty much what i did with a previous car i owned, but i had it up on jack stands with the wheels running at idle speed for those 15 minutes, man let me tell you, it does get hot too. Then after the 1st two 15 minute break-ins, we changed out the oil with fresh stuff and did the rest as it says, easy for awhile, then changed it again. After that time everything was nice.

3. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

I just finished installing my gears yesterday and I am following those instructions for break-in. After the first 15 miles the diff was hot but I could keep my hand on it.