Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New gear break-in

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gstuck3, Jul 29, 2005.

1. gstuck3

gstuck3 Registered Member

I'm about to have my 74 Jimmy regeared from 3.07 to 4.10. I read the gear break-in for the gears but I'm sure theyn are talking about rear gears. How should I break in the fronts. Just lock her in and take her for a slow drive down some dirt roads? Is there something special to do for the fronts?

Also I'm putting a Detroit Locker in the rear and a Truetrac in the front. I think she will be able to go anywhere I plan to take her. I don't plan to "Hardcore" her but she will be off the beaten path.

2. short sub

short sub Registered Member

i just regeared my burb and the only thing i did was drive it a few times- let the gears get warm and let them cool. after doing that i felt they were ready to run, its not street legal so i dont wanna just drive around all day long. If you have an open front diff. just ride around taking it kinda slow and youll be fine. Lata Ryan

3. Classic Broncos Rule

Classic Broncos Rule Registered Member

I would second what short sub had to say, but add you should change gear oil at 100, 500 and 1000 miles. This may be a bit of over kill, but that's what I do. I also run Lucas 80-90wt gear oil in my Dana 44 and stay away from synthetics. Regular motor oil will suspend metal particals and circulate, rather than drop and sink away from the gears like gear oil will allow.

4. gstuck3

gstuck3 Registered Member

Thanks for all the great info. I just want to make sure I do everything right and take good care of the new gears. This stuff ain't cheap and I don't won't to have to do it all over again.