Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Gear Q

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by lifethroughdeath, Aug 14, 2003.

1. lifethroughdeath

lifethroughdeath 1/2 ton status

when i get new gears for my truck do i need to install a new carrier as well or will the original stock one work? i've only got corporate 10 bolts now with stock gearing i belive,, but i've recently jumped from stock 235/75/15's to a 4" lift and a set of 35/14/15 Ground Hawgs, i havent decided on gearing yet but i can get a good deal on a set of 4.56 richmonds what do you think? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

That depends on your current gears. There are 'breaks' on the carriers as far as what gears will work, some research is required.

Usually the cheapest, and easiest route is to find a set of 3/4 ton axles with the gear combo you want. (Be sure to add in the cost of new rims though.) This not only gets you better gears, but increases your strength as well....

Unless that is a 'thick' gear, I believe you need a new carrier....