Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New gear setup... Is it okay for backlash to be .002" too wide?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fad2blk99, Sep 30, 2003.

1. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

New gear setup... Is it okay for backlash to be .002\" too wide?

I am fighting with the setup on my 10 bolt front...
    I'm installing new 5.13 gears and an Eaton posi. The Yukon gear install manual says backlash should be between .006 and .010". My current backlash is just just under .012"; However, my pattern looks pretty good... it does have somewhat of a flat line at the flank (root), indicating the pinion may be a little "close"
    Sorry, No pics... my digital went swiming last week. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

Re: New gear setup... I it okay for backlash to be .002\" too wide?

i would suggest getting it down to about .008" only because once you actually drive it, it will loosen a tiny bit to maybe .009"

3. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

Re: New gear setup... I it okay for backlash to be .002\" too wide?

If I had only taken the carrier out a couple of times up to now... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    Without exagerating, I've pried the carrier out 9 times. In doing that, I've cracked a shim /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif burred the piss out of the machined edge where the shims seat against the housing /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif and trashed a set of races /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif. I'm hoping I can be okay at .012", although, like you said, I'd prefer to be at .008 or .009".

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Re: New gear setup... Is it okay for backlash to be .002\" too wide?

I'd take it out again and make it right, pulling it out now will be a hell of a lot easier than doing it later after the bearings are trashed. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

5. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

why "cant" you get it any closer? It needts to be within that spec or like confed said over time with wear it will just open up more then you get that super CLUNK in the gears. I know it sucks I just did mine a few months ago didn't think I was ever gonna get it right. Good Luck

6. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I was pretty frustrated last night... Now that I've had a chance to sleep on it, I'm gonna tear back into it. Thanks for helping me see the light... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif