Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NEW GEARS WHEEEEEE!!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RESTORE89, Mar 10, 2001.

1. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

FINALLY GOT MY NEW GEARS. BOUGHT THE TRUCK 4 MONTHS AGO AND IT HAD THE WHOLE REAR END REPLACED, AND THE FRONT TO REAR RATIOS WERE DIFFERENT. JUST PICKED UP THE TRUCK FROM THE SHOP, WHERE THEY PUT NEW 4.11'S FRONT AND REAR, WITH A LOCK RIGHT IN THE FRONT. I CAN ACTUALLY USE 4 WHEEL DRIVE, AND THE THING HAS GREAT LOW END TORQUE. I WENT TO COLUMBIA YESTERDAY( ABOUT 100 MILES) WITH THE TRUCK, AND I GOT ALMOST 17 MPG, HOWEVER, I DID HAVE TO STOP ABOUT 3 TIMES FOR ABOUT 20 MINUTES EACH TIME, CAUSE THE SHOP SAID THE GEARS HAD TO COOL DOWN. I CAN ALSO USE THE OVERDRIVE AND THE CRUISE CONTROL AT THE SAME TIME. BEFORE MY RATIO WAS SO HIGH IT WOULD NOT STAY IN OVERDRIVE WITH THE CRUISE ON. CAN NOT WAIT TO GET IT IN THE MUD TO SEE HOW IT PULLS.

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Did you have 3.42s before? thats what i have, and I'm glad to hear they made such a difference. I'll be switching to 4.11s soon too.

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

3. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I'm pulling the 4.57 gears out of mine and gooing with a 3.74... mine will crawl up a wall but no freeway driving without rev. the engine to high!!!!

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

4. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Craig, what axle are the 4.57's coming out of? I might be interesting in purchasing them from you.

5. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Good to hear that. I'm going to replace my 3.07 with 3.73 gears. I currently have 31" tires, but will move to 33" when these wear out. I hope I get a mileage increase too. What size are your tires?

<font color=blue>//////
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://blazer79.coloradok5.com>http://blazer79.coloradok5.com</A>
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

6. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I just replaced my 3.08's with 4.56's and what a difference!! Like you said, I can finally use OD on the highway again. Right now I've got 33's on it so it's just a little over geared but the OD makes up for it. I'm getting 35's or 37's at the beginning of the summer so it should be perfect then. I put a Lockright in the back and a Truetrac in the front so I can crawl over or through almost anything I point it at. Good luck testing your new gears in the mud, your gonna love it.

Joe
    RIT Mini-Baja http://www.rit.edu/~bajawww
    Team Mudnuts http://www.mudnuts.org

7. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

my tires are 33- 12.50's, and i am not sure what the old ratio was, it was different front and rear. my fuel mileage increase was a nice added feature, plus the ability to now sling dirt in the corners. i know it is not the fastest or the safest way around a corner, but it sure is funnnnn.

8. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

Why did the gears need to cool down (and dont be a smart a@@ and say they get hot, I know that.. haha...) Are 4.11's to much for freeway driving with 35's?

Um... yes officer I know it's too big...

9. Innerpiece

Innerpiece 1/2 ton status

I too have a hard time in OD on the highway ... I have no idea what gears are in the truck now (87 silverado blazer), but stock tires were 31 and I'm running 32s. would 1" make that much of a difference? any gear recommendations? How much does that usually run (per diff).

Thanks

10. johnny reb

johnny reb 1/2 ton status

If you don't mind me asking, what did that cost you? I'm also thinking of going to 4.11s with my 33's. Now I have the 3.42 in my 10 bolt. Do you have a 10-bolt or 14-bolt?

11. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

By saying that the gears had to cool down, he's refferring to the normal break-in procedure for a new ring and pinion. At first they get extra hot, but the heat helps to harden them. You have to stop and cycle the temperature a few times to get the metal in the right condition, without all of the tiny imperfections in the contact area and such. If you just go it with a brand new set of gears, you will probably warp something or shorten their life. Now if you're doing a whole axle swap, then those gears are already broken in and you can go ahead and rag them as much as you'd like. When you get a vehicle new, the break-in has already been done before the axle was put on the vehicle.

<font color=green>Stupid tourist at Mammoth Cave, Kentucky: "How many miles of unexplored passages are there?"</font color=green>

12. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

i bought us gears from randys ring and pinion, the install kits and a lock right locker, and i spent about 700 on the parts, and the labor eas about 400 per axle, however, i had an extra 208 yransfer case, and i traded it and 400.00 for all the labor. also it took about 4 days to get it back from the shop.
    chris

13. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

i have a gm 10 bolt rear end, and the shop told me that the spider gears in the rear are just about worn out, and he said rather than replace just the spider gears, i should just order another lock right, and replace the spider gears.
    chris

14. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

the other post described exactly what the shop told me about cool down, however, according to randys ring and pinion, the 4.11's are at factory specs for rpm with 33's, so if you are running 35's, i would think you you would need to go lower to keep your rev's up at highway speeds
    chris

15. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

I've 4.10's in mine with 33's and they work great. OVerdrive and drive.

Will work for beer, parts and tools.
    90 Jimmy 350TBI-700R4-241-33" BFGs-10 bolts w/4.10's
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</A>

16. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

RESTORE89,
    But they were talking about factory specs for your vehicle. Remember, there were many different stock gear ratios from 2.73 to 4.11, but most Blazers were 3.08, 3.47 and 3.73. So what matches "factory specs" depends on what gears originally came with the truck. So you also have to look at what kind of usage the vehicle will see and adjust from there. But you are right, there is certainly an ideal range of gear ratios for a certain size tire that will make the transmission and engine work the best and it is usally an overall ratio the same as the factory one. 4.11 is pretty good for 33's or 35's, but for more low end with the 35's, you might want to go 4.56 and for mostly highway without towing with 33's, 3.93 might be the hot ticket. Just look at the percentage change in your tire diameter and apply the same percentage change to your gears and you'll be back to working according to factory specs. Sorry about rambling.

<font color=green>Stupid tourist at Mammoth Cave, Kentucky: "How many miles of unexplored passages are there?"</font color=green>