Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Gears, Whine!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by slowk5, Aug 17, 2006.

1. slowk5

slowk5 Registered Member

I Just Set Up My 14 bolt with 5.13 yukons,I Went For A drive Around The Block,And I Let off The Gas I Hear Them Whine!!I Know Its The Coast Side Of The Making Noise.I Got A Pretty Good Pattern On Both Sides.The Backlash Is Set At .007 And The Pinion Preload Is At 28 inch Pounds.The Pinion Depth Set Up Wih No shims Under The pinion Support.Has Any Ever Seen That? One Of My Buddys Says To just Run it,I think Somthing wrong.Is Gear Whine Something People Just Put up With? It Looked like it could of used a little more pinion depth,but i have more shims to take out? ive been Told i could remove the inner pinion bearing and add a shim,thats a lot of work! HELP!!:mad:

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Uhh the 14bff uses a crush sleeve to set the pinion depth. No shims are used on the pinion. Hell no shims are used in the whole axle.

3. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

The pinion depth shims go between the housing and the removeable pinion support. Not using shims at all seems wrong to me. I would remove the cover, take another pattern (making sure to create drag on the pinion) and post pics here.

4. slowk5

slowk5 Registered Member

14 Bolts Use the crush Sleeve to set Pinion Bearing preload.Shims between the housing and the pinion support set pinion depth.Ill Check the pattern soon. Does Anybody think that lower gears are harder to set up?

5. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

I think that lower gears are more difficult to get a perfect pattern on.

6. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

In my talking to gear guys sometimes you get a gearset that whines but it is rare. I would say it is your pattern. I have only setup 3 14bs but they all used shims and none of them whined (they were all 5.13) so I would check your pattern. Get a good digital camera and take pics of the pattern and post it. I have heard of the crush sleeves splitting (once again very rare) but if you are getting a good preload reading on this, thats probably not it. You may try to jack up the truck and run it on jackstands. Be very careful with this it is dangerous. I bought a mechanics stethascope and lengthened the tube for stuff like this. Mabey the whine is coming from somewhere else. Good luck let us know what you find

7. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

uhhhhhh.....yeah 14 bolts DO have shims, not carrier shims but shims under the pinion support. The crush sleeve just serves the purpose of being a spacer between pinion bearings. Once your pinion support is assembled and you have the right pinion preload then thats good to go. But it sounds like you already have that figured out. Your pinion preload is perfect.

more than likely your pinion is too deep, all the 14 bolts I have seen have some amount of pinion shims. In fact I havent seen anything less than a .010" shim under the pinion support. I really would like to see the pattern that you came out with because I bet anything you pinion is far too deep. A gear whine isnt always an indication of a problem,(depending upon severity) some gearsets may whine, and they usually do so only when coasting. Many times your not going to get a perfect "text book" pattern on the drive and coast side. Usually you may have to compromise a little either way with the pattern being as centered from heel to toe and face to flank as much as possible. Did you check your backlash variation around the carrier? I have seen axles that have a massive amount of backlash variation, like .020", the result was a bad carrier. Im not saying your carrier may be bad but these are all things that need to be checked. Make sure you post pics of a good pattern read, not something that is difficult to see where the pattern is hitting. Good luck and let us know what you got.

8. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

by the way I have a set of precision gear 5.13 and I have no gear whine. Of course it would probably be extremely hard to hear anyways over my exhaust. There ya go, I found your solution, get a louder exhaust! :D