Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Gears

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hardcore_rob, Feb 17, 2003.

1. hardcore_rob

hardcore_rob 1/2 ton status

Dec 6, 2002
    I keep reading about having to re-gear everything after getting larger tires. went from about a 30-'31' to a 35' Why?Truck seems to run the same with the current gearing. What would be a good gearing to go to? ( Not sure of the current gearing ) and what would be an estimate of the cost?
  2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Jan 21, 2001
    When you move up a tire size, it affects the overall gear ratio. Right now, I have 3.73 gears on 35" tires, the actual ratio is 3.4 something or another. This means you will be running less RPM, but also takes more power from the engine to spin those tires. Other components of the engine has to take up the slack for the loss of gear ratio loss, so this means more heat for a tranny(if you run auto) and more throttle for more gas.

My truck runs fine down the highway, a little quieter, but it was a dawg on hills before the 35's. You will be hanging with the semi's going up these hills.