Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Gears

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sharkman726, May 9, 2003.

1. sharkman726

sharkman726 Registered Member

Just would like some input on changing out the gears on my 90 k5. Found a website offering front and rear gears and master install kits for 390.00. Would like to go to 4:10s. Also how is the fit on a 10 bolt? Any feedback would be appreciated. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. wadinator

wadinator 1/2 ton status

You got 35's on your K5, 10bolts, and you only wanna go to 4.10's? If it's all stock (700r4, 208, 10bolts) and you're going to go thru the hassle of changing gears in your 10bolts, why not go to 4.56's?

The reason I'm saying this is I have 700r4-208 combo on 35's and 4.10's myself, and the 4.10's are still too tall even for just cruising down the highway. I'd love to have AT LEAST 4.56's, and 4.88's would be better.

Just my .02 cents.

3. Jaguargt

Jaguargt Registered Member

i heard that a guy put 4.10 in front and 4.56 rear, can u do that?, don't need the same front and rear setup? thanx.

4. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

You need to keep the front and rear gears the same, why would you want to have them different anyways?

5. wadinator

wadinator 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif NO! You can't run different gears front and rear in 4wd unless all you do is mud bog.

With the same size tires front and rear, the 4.10's in the front would make the front tires turn faster than the rear tires with 4.56's. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Not good.

6. Jaguargt

i just was curious about something i heard, thanx for bring some light to my mind, and another thing, i want to run 35's on my 83 K5, 6.2D, 700R4, i know i need new gears, 4.56 could be good?, and a susp lift kit of 6" would be good?, or would be better to buy just a body lift kit? thanx.

7. wadinator

wadinator 1/2 ton status

I'm not a diesel guy, so I'm not sure about this....but I think the diesels have more low-end grunt so the 4.10's would prolly be a better choice to go with that and 35's.

Maybe a DIESEL guy could add or subtract from that comment??? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

Body lifts are never "better" than a suspension lift. Well, I guess a guy should never say never, but I have yet to run across a scenario in which a body lift is a better choice. 6" suspension would be great for 35's, but keep in mind that driveline angles are getting about maxed out with that lift, and you may run into ujoint or vibration issues.

8. Jaguargt

thanx man, i'll look for mor info in the past threads, thanx.

9. sharkman726

sharkman726 Registered Member

Thanx, I will look further into the 4.56's But others have told me 4.10's would work well. Not that the others are always correct. I drive more pavement than anything. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

10. wadinator

wadinator 1/2 ton status

Keep researching. Make sure you do it right the first time!/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Maybe call Randy's Ring and Pinion and see what they have to say about it. http://www.randysringandpinion.com

11. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Pavement as in Interstate or low speed surface street? Before I changed jobs my GMC was my daily driver and it saw a lot of road miles. They were rarely at speeds over 65 MPH, though. The 4.56s were great w/ 35s and no O/D (TH350), when I changed jobs it was a bit much for all the high speeed commuting I did. With the O/D I doubt it would have mattered as much. Personally, for a mostly on-road truck w/ O/D & 35s I would go 4.88 unless it sees a lot of high speed travel, then go 4.56. Either way 4.10s are too high.

12. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

im thinking about going from 3.08 to 3.73 to get more lowend...alot of my driving is in the 65-70mph range...i havnt had her over 90 though...so im pretty sure that change wont affect my top speed much...would changing even lower perhaps 4.10 make too big of a difference?

13. Me89'Jimmy

Me89'Jimmy 1/2 ton status

ya you can use different setups in the diffs, they will last about 5 rotations of the wheel though. if you try that in 4 wheel drive not only will you lose the gears you'll lose your transfer case as well. ive yet to see someone pull two different gear ratios off

14. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

No it has been done, the guy with the roadster in Top truck challenge 2 years ago had two different ratios. He was however running 2 different sizes of tires in the front and rear, so it made it ok to do. None the less it has been done. Later
    -fLeXy K20

15. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

What size tire are you planning? Just for reference my wife's Jeep ZJ has 3.73s and a 29" tall tire. That is the factory set up w/ O/D, full-time 4WD and a V-8. It cruses along at 80 MPH no prob. Just my $.02, but 3.73s are to high for anything bigger than a 31.

16. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

Look hard at 4.56s or 4.88s. I have a 350/700R4/4.56/35" setup and the OD does more than you think it does. My truck is actually happier around 75-85 mph than it is from 65-75. Unfortunately it just doesn't feel as safe at those speeds. I wish I had put in 4.88s for both highway and offroad use. 4.10 will not be enough to get the real benefit of OD with 35" tires on a gas engine. With a diesel, 4.56 might be the ticket since the torque curve starts lower and is flatter.