Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new gears?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kombi59, Oct 28, 2003.

1. kombi59

kombi59 1/2 ton status

hey guys, i am getting front and rear lockers and want to change gears also, what gears would you suggest for a 1984 k5 350-350t- stock 10 bolt gm corps. 456 or 488? 35x 12.50 bfg mud terrains. thanks Chad. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

It all just depends on what you will be doing with the truck. If you will be doing highway driving, I would stay away from anything 4.56 or lower with that th350. If you had overdrive, now thats a different story. It also depends on how often you drive your truck and what you want to do with it. If you dont drive it on the street much and want to rockcrawl with it, then 4.56's should be plenty of gear. Oh, and also, before you buy front and rear lockers, you might want to look into some beefier axles first. Locking that rear 10 bolt with 35's=breakage. You can pick up a 14ff at a junkyard, already with 4.10's, and some even have 4.56's if your lucky, for way cheaper than a locker. You could go ahead and buy the locker, but it will always be on the back of your mind when your wheeling it, that the 10B might break. You will probably end up putting more money into keeping that 10B happy, then you would buying a 14ff, and a locker. Since you going to pay for re-gearing anyways, why dont you just buy a 14ff, re-gear it to whatever you decide, and hold off on the locker for a little while. You will end up thanking yourself in the long run.
    -Harrison

3. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Very good information for you....Especially being from AZ and all....

4. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

I 2nd the 14 bolt w/ locker, the best mod I have done so far, but if you want that 10 bolt get 4.56s w/ no o/d

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

OK, I'm going to tell you another option that you might be happier with in the long run. Since you're getting lockers and gears, I'm assuming that you actually get offroad pretty regularly and wheel fairly hard. You might consider holding off a little bit until you can find a set of axles from a M1008 that are in good shape. You'll get a D60 front and 14bFF rear with 4.56s already in them and a Detroit in the rear. Add a Detroit to the front and you'll have the setup you want in much stronger axles. It will cost a little bit more but it will be well worth the frustration you'll save later on when you start breaking the 10 bolt due to the locker.

My reason for suggesting this is that most often people keep going bigger in tire size, since you're at 35s already you don't have very far to go before you're going to be breaking the front axle pretty regularly. 37s are about the limit for a 10 bolt with a l/s, a locker will cause even more breakage. You should be able to find a mint set of M1008 axles for under $2000, add the front locker for $500 and you're good to go once you get some 8 lug rims. To regear and add lockers to your axles you're looking at $1000 for the lockers, $350 or so for gears and another $400 for labor. You can save some money on the lockers by geting the lunchbox lockers, but you'll have other problems with those since they aren't terribly reliable in heavier rigs.

Just food for thought.

6. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

if you beef up the axles, what is next in line to break

7. kombi59

kombi59 1/2 ton status

man a lot to think about? most of the guys I go off road with around here are running the 44's or gm 10 bolts hard decision my front and rear axles are all new had them rebuit when i bought the rig. just seem to need better gearing for the tires. 35's are night and day from 33's. would beefier axles be enough to run the 10 blot? we mostly run around in the sand, never rock crawl. and no mud in yuma. thanks for the advice and sure is appreciated. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

"35's are night and day from 33's"

2 inches?