Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new ghetto brake bleeder!...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by diesel4me, Apr 3, 2006.

1. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I had to bleed my brakes alone a while back..not my favorite chore..sometimes you can get lucky and they gravity bleed,but this time was not one of them!..I tried using a 2x4 to depress the pedal while I opened the bleeder..that didn't work either...and my vacuum bleeder I'd made from a mayonaise jar needed vacuum from a running engine to make it work,and the hose was too short to reach the nearest vehicle.:doah: ...moving all the crap in the way would take hours,so I decided to wait until someone could help me..then I had a brainstorm a few minutes later..

I was washing my windshield in my car with windex...and noticed the pump bottle sprayer had a check valve made into the sprayer head..another bottle of "409" I had used a similar check valve at the bottom of the stem going from the pump head to the bottle..I could suck air thru them,but not blow back..hmmmmm!..

I found a peice of 3/16 vacuum hose,and shoved it onto the tube of the windex bottle..then shoved it over the bleeder screw,openned it,and pumped the sprayer several times..I saw brake fluid advancing to the tip!..then air bubbles,then more fluid!..IT WORKED!...got back in the car,had a nice firm pedal!...:D

Just for s***s and grins I decided to try the pump from the 409 bottle,with the check valve mounted at the bottom of the tube going to the pump..it pulled out of the head of the pump,and all I had to do was slide the 3/16 hose over the open end of the tube,attach it to the bleeder,(a clippy clothespin helps here!)--and submerge the check valve in a bottle with some brake fluid in it,get in,and pump the brake pedal...it worked slick !..and to think all theese years I've been doing it the "hard" way....:doah: ..best part is I didn't have to BUY anything!-:laugh: -everyone must have at least a few pump spray bottles kicking around....:crazy:

2. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Thats actually a pretty good idea with the check valve!

How did the plastic hold up to the brake fluid?

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

still there!...

I put the check valve/tube thing aside to use later on next time I fool with my brakes..its been a month now,it hasn't showed any sign of melting or deterioration.( I think it was from an old Castrol Super Clean bottle)
    ....it had a steel bb in it,the other one might have been a plastic flapper valve..at any rate,if they hold up to "Castrol Super Clean", "409",and "windex",they must be fairly chemical resistant..even if I had to toss it right away,it was well worth it..it only had to work ONCE to make me happy..:D .:crazy:

4. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

Damn skippy thats a slick idea! That is a canadate for cheap tricks for 4wheeler even if it is a crappy mag.

5. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Nice find! I'm printing this so I don't forget about it...

6. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

Subscribing to this thread... I KNOW I will be wondering where this info is in a few weeks. Thanks buddy!

7. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Flippin sweet