Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Glow controller thoughts

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by joez, Nov 8, 2004.

1. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Well, i have been running a pushbutton starter switch for my manual glow, but had it wired a bit different that most. I still had the factory glow controller that would cycle when it was cold, and then i would supplement that with the pushbutton. Well, the problem i have been having is that i keep burning up those cheap $10 starter buttons, and today one caught fire.

So, i decided that its time to do something about this. Today i bought a 75 amp pull switch, similar to our headlight switch, and wired it up. Well, i figured since this is rated for 75 amp continuous duty, i should be able to get rid of the factory controller completely and wire this up without a relay. They question i have, is which wire, or wires, runs the glow plug light in the dash? I like the idiot light and want to keep it, anyone know which wire from the controller runs it? I had the dash appart not to long ago, but cant remember off the top of my head which wires controlled which light.

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Well, i have been running a pushbutton starter switch for my manual glow, but had it wired a bit different that most. I still had the factory glow controller that would cycle when it was cold, and then i would supplement that with the pushbutton. Well, the problem i have been having is that i keep burning up those cheap $10 starter buttons, and today one caught fire.

So, i decided that its time to do something about this. Today i bought a 75 amp pull switch, similar to our headlight switch, and wired it up. Well, i figured since this is rated for 75 amp continuous duty, i should be able to get rid of the factory controller completely and wire this up without a relay. They question i have, is which wire, or wires, runs the glow plug light in the dash? I like the idiot light and want to keep it, anyone know which wire from the controller runs it? I had the dash appart not to long ago, but cant remember off the top of my head which wires controlled which light.

[/ QUOTE ]

One problem with that switch, you could forget it on. It's best to use a swich that is spring loaded.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifI can't remember the wiring colors so i can't help there.
    /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Thats why i want to keep the idiot light. My problem is that i am still stubborn and using the factory glow controller and the manual button, instead of just going with a relay and the button. I figure with the 75 amp switch, i should have no problem running the Glow straithg through it, i just need to figure out an idiot light. I had been using a starter button, until it caught fire. Now i have a hole in my heating duct under the dash. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I think ill just pull the dash bezel and check the wiring out tommarow after school.

If i cant get it to work with the factory light, ill rig something up.

4. rd durham

rd durham Registered Member

Why not use the push button switch in conjunction with a higher amp relay? That way you keep the push button switch and the relay handles the higher amperage chores.

5. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Because this 75 amp pull switch was cheaper than the 15 amp pushbutton. Plus i would like to eliminate as much wiring as possible, im a fan of simplicity. I mainly want the idiot light in case somebody else in my house decides to drive the truck.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

patch the push button into the wire between the GP relay and the controller. All you need is to ground the light blue wire. So light blue wire from the relay to one side of the push button switch, then from the same side of the push button up to the controller. Other side of the switch is ground.

Turn the key and it should cylce like stock...push the button if you want more. Very little electrical load on the push button this way.

Rene

7. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

The 75 amp switch is still not big enough. The glow plugs pull well over a 100 amps. I'm surprised the smaller switches even lasted as long as they did. The only way to safely use manual glow plugs is with a relay and switch.

Casey

8. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The 75 amp switch is still not big enough. The glow plugs pull well over a 100 amps. I'm surprised the smaller switches even lasted as long as they did. The only way to safely use manual glow plugs is with a relay and switch.

Casey

[/ QUOTE ]

Darn /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I thought they only pulled 60 amps.

Ill have to change some of the wiring today and get it wired up properly, instead of the interesting conglomeration it is now.