Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New GM CD player in a 90 K5

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Hardcore, Oct 8, 2003.

1. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

I have access to a newer CD stereo out of a silverado (No I didn't steel it) /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Since the size is the same I was wondering if the plug would be the same as my 1990 K5. I actually like the newer stereos, the buttons are large and its easy to use in the stupid factory location.

Anyone mount a newer GM stereo in their old K5? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

Depending on the year(like how new it is) the wiring is different...the plug on the newer radios is very different than that of the early to mid 90s...not to mention if the vehicle had onstar it will be a bit of a bigger pita

Later

3. K05Aggie

K05Aggie 1/2 ton status

I've never heard of anyone doing it, but I've thought of it for my Blazer. Even though the plugs aren't the same, if you can mark the wires from the Blazer stereo and the wires coming out of the new plug before you cut them off, you can easily solder it up.
    Like you said, it should fit.

4. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

Was looking at a stereo from a 95-98 chevy truck. I could remake a wiring harness. Anyone ever had one of the "Theft-Lock" units reprogrammed by the dealer. What do you have to do? My buddy pulled his out the truck and put in a pioneer one. What do I need to do to his to bypass or fix the Theft-Lock feature /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

5. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

my local chevy dealer wants 37.50 to unlock one(minimum labor rate,da'bastards!).they are only locked if the previous owner activated the feature,so it might not be locked.theres a tech article at www.thirdgen.org on puting a late model radio in an older camaro which should be helpful to you.

6. barryb

barryb Registered Member

the theft lock is a code you enter when you power it up and should be relatively easy to get as long as your radio still has the reference number on the bottom, have your buddy look in his owners manual and see if the factory card is still in it that lists the number your after. METRA makes both plugs you could just buy and snap the wiring in , you will also need a antenna adapter for the antenna hole on the newer radio will be too small ..

7. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

Metra? is that a brand name? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

8. barryb

barryb Registered Member