Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new GM crate motor and a 1st gen.....some questions

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jakeslim, Jul 4, 2004.

1. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

I will be looking to drop a GM crate into my 69 k5. What should i be aware of related to mounts, oilpan etc. Is it a direct drop in? Also, I have a 4 speed manual..anything needed to put in a new crate?

lots of question in the next few weeks!
    thanks,
    Paul

2. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

make sure you put in the pilot bearing, also make sure the crate enigne is compatible with your flywheel. the engine crankshaft changed in 86 from a two piece rear seal to a one piece.
    everything else should bolt right in, unless you are getting a vortec engine. then you would need a new intake manifold.

ARQ.

3. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

thanks. Won't be getting a vortec. Just a base crate with no frills. I wonder if I can get something with no intake, no carb, no starter, no distributor, etc. That way I can modify just a bit.

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. stretch67

stretch67 1/2 ton status

most of the gm crate motors come minus dist carb etc. so you can buy the parts you want instead fo buying them twice! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif