Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New goodies so I can shift better!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85mudblazin, Jul 21, 2006.

1. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Couple more goodies added today.
    My old stock shift linkage was at its last leg, it would bind up if you looked at it wrong so I got a Art Carr gate shifter. Its a very well made piece and its very simple to install, works flawless.
    To go along with it I got a TCI reverse manual valve body. This does a few things.
    First it puts 1st right next to reverse which is handy to prevent roll overs.
    Second it gives me more gear options since I can put the tranny in 2nd and have the t-case in low for more wheel speed (this is the main reason I got it, it will go nicely when my new t-case arrives 8) )
    Third is that it gets rid of the TV cable which is a known killer of many trannys since they are tricky to get adjusted just right.
    Also with the TV cable gone it makes the skinny pedal much softer since there is less tension on it.
    Well heres some pics of the shifter, none of the VB unless you want to see a tranny pan :lol:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

How does it prevent roll overs and how does it do away with the kick-down? :confused:

3. 85mudblazin

Say you are climbing up a steep ledge are you start to roll backwards, you can flick it into reverse and save yourself.

As for how it gets rid of the TV cable well, everything is now manual so there is no need for the TV cable since all it does it tell the tranny when to shift.
    Its basically a manual transmission without a clutch.

4. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

whoa wait so if i do this manual reverse body thingy i can have a "manual" w/o having to change my tranny and swap all of the other stuff over? Sorry for the hijack. And tv cables are only on 700r4s right? not 400s?

5. hawkeye649

Isn't 1st basically right next to R in essence anyways? You have to skip over N, but once you hit that you'll loose ooph and then you'll hit R and move backwards.

I thought the kick down controlled line pressure, pressure on the clutches, as well as telling the tranmission when to kick down 19 gears too low, and then up 14, down 32, and finally you start feathering the throttle wondering why you bothered....??

My friend in the AT industry adjusts his TV cables via the pressure port on the side, wont just install them.

I remember reading about some peeps wo put clutches into auto's, so they could just dup the clutch and hold on the gas...? :wink1:

6. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

right, TV cables are only for 700R4's. When you do a manual valve body it allows you to manually shift to whatever gear you want. Then the reverse pattern changes the layout of the shift so that you can go straight through the gears manually and not have to try and skip gears to get down into 1st then shift up. You just go straight to 1, 2, 3, and then 4.

Nice snag 85mudblazin

-Avery

7. 85mudblazin

Drive is right next to neutral which is right next to reverse. Bad thing about drive is if you are trying to bump up something more the likely you will end up shifting into second which is no good.
    With this when you put it in 1st it stays in 1st no matter what.

the TV cable basically controlls the whole transmission, tells it when to change gears, downshift, break:haha:

A kickdown just tells the transmission when to downshift (atleast I think).

8. hawkeye649

Wow, I am numb. I just re-read and just noticed the manual valve body. How much are you into it all-in-all if you don't mind asking? I've been thinking of going this rout, I am still very undecided if I should stay auto or go manual. Manual is rugged, nearly indestructable. Auto can be built up, works in mud and sand (besides in the gear you start in) and if you have to stop in deep mud or water, I think they are better sealed against the elements. At the very least there is no clutch to get covered with mud and thus non-functional. :dunno:

9. 85mudblazin

The VB ran me $250 and the shifter was $200. I installed it all myself.

10. hawkeye649

First I'm not fighting you, just interested. Interesting point, that. 1 is on the other side of D... hmm. :doah:

11. hawkeye649

I always thought they were the same thing, just a real name and a lamens name.

12. 85mudblazin

Nope a TV cable and a kickdown are 2 VERY different animals. About the only thing that they have in common is they are both a cable:haha:

13. hawkeye649

With my high-quality mental wrenching, I can only remember the TV from my TBI going to the transmission. Then a plug for the speedo to the transfercase, and two hard lines going to my tranny cooler. :dunno:

14. NoReGrEtS

NoReGrEtS 1/2 ton status

there is no D on a manual Vb. you shift it when you drive it dont shift by its self any more

Last edited: Jul 21, 2006
  15. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

good combo. I'm gonna try a FB from Redneck Transmission supply (see ebay). Its a decent price and they offer compression braking too. Gotta love a full manual th400... beefy as all get out, and no need for a bunch of crazy wires/tubes/computers and crap going to the trans to tell it when to shift. In my experience, on a trail rig, the simpler u can get it the better.

j

16. 85mudblazin

Yea I dont know how many times I have thought about going to a th400, I just cant give up the 3.06:1:D
    Thats ok I have full confidence in my 700 since its all built up.

Im with you on the simplicity. All I have are cooler lines and a the shifter cable, cant get any easier then that.

The Redneck VB is a good one, not sure if you knwo the story but its a former employee at Art Carr, they pissed him off so he went out and started his own business selling them himself.
    So basically you are buying a Art Carr VB just cheaper.

17. Avery4jc

Where did you get your 700? I am trying to make up my mind on where to get my new 700R4 and since you said that you are confident in yours I was wondering.

-Avery

18. 85mudblazin

I built it myself.

19. Avery4jc

Ok, can you elaborate on what you did or is there a thread on it somewhere?

-Avery

20. 85mudblazin

If I was going to buy a tranny from someone it would be from these guys.
    This is where I bought all the parts that they put in theres I just didnt have the coint to buy one already built so I did mine a little at a time.
    They have VERY high quality parts for really cheap.
    http://www.transmissioncenter.net/highperf700r4.htm