Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

NEW Goodyear MT/Rs?????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 79 K5, Apr 24, 2000.

1. 79 K5

79 K5 Registered Member

Anybody out there seen the new Goodyear MT/Rs in action? I drove by a tent sale at a local shop and spotted a big set of mud tires sitting out, so I turned around. They were the new MT/R's. Man, they look pretty hoss! I've been seriously considereing ordering a set of TSLs, but the guy there told me that they run quieter and more smoothly on the road, wear slower and more evenly, and tear up the mud just as good as the Swamper TSLs. Looking at them, I'd say that he could be telling me the truth, but I wanted to get more input from someone NOT trying to make a commission off me. I read a little about them and they got nothing but praise, but I want to put them against TSLs. The sidewalls are supposed to be super strong, fully inflated and aired way down. The sale is only until the end of this week, so I need some feedback fairly quickly. Any info on these tires would be helpful. They're a little more expensive than the TSLs, but I would cut out the shipping cost, so it would pretty much even out, and in the long run, the extended tread life should (theoretically) save me money. What do you guys think?

Jesse
    '79 K5 Blazer, 3 inch rancho lift, anti-sway bar disconnects

2. Whii338

Whii338 Registered Member

Whats the price? and just to be nosy what size are you gonna get?

3. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Does anybody know who has these? I'm debating between Baja Claws and these, 35x12.5. How much are they?</font color=blue>

4. 79 K5

79 K5 Registered Member

I'm planning on running 33x12.5s. He quoted me at $700 installed and balanced for 4 tires. I think they were $170 piece or something. I have no idea how much they usually retail for.

-Jesse

5. i_4x4

i_4x4 1/2 ton status

I looked at those this weekend. They looked pretty good. The salesman here said the same thing on being quiter and lasting longer. I was thinking of getting them also. 285/75r16 $170 w/ mount & balance.

i_4x4

LET'S ROCK
    Don't follow me you will get STUCK!!

6. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I have had a set of 35x12.50r15 MT/R's for about 3 months now. I probably only have about 1,000 miles on them since the truck is almost strictly used for trailriding and not used as a daily driver, though it does get driven to the trail.
    These replaced a set of 33x12.50 BFG mud-terrains (the second set of these I have had) so here's how they compare to the BFG's:
    heavier and stiffer, I originally had them at the max pressure of 35 psi to start with and they beat me to death when new...the pressure was lowered to 30 in front and 25 in rear and they ride much better. I think new tires are typically stiffer until they are broke in. I haven't run them below 20 psi on the trail due to all of the mud and rain this winter and spring, but they seem to flex well. The tread compound feels alot softer than the BFG's but seems to be holding up okay. I really like the sidewall tread on the MT/R's, my BFG's sidewalls were really getting chewed up due to running in all of the ruts on the trails but there are no marks on the MT/R sidewalls yet, plus I think the sidewall lugs really help traction when in ruts.
    They look more aggressive than the BFG's when side by side and seem to do really good in the mud (it's hard to directly compare due to the size difference though).
    Highway noise seems comparable to the 25% worn BFG's, but a little louder than the BFG's when they were new. I really didn't notice any difference in handling.
    Overall I'm pretty happy with them and would say they work better off-road than the BFG mudders.

7. lew

lew Registered Member

Hold on!!!

I just checked out www.4wheelparts.com for these tires and they are $154 each.
    I think they were about $135 at www.tirerack.com. there site was down for a couple of hours when i tried to check.
    You can get them mounted and balenced at any Wal-mart for $7 a tire and they give you lifetime rotation and balance, I know this because I just had a Set of 35" Yokohama GEOLANDER MT's mounted for my 86 K5. Cool looking directional mudder for only $135 a piece at the tire rack.

Have fun.

8. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

I have a set of these tires also. They are working great so far. I paid $162 ea. for my 35/12.50/15 at a good year dealer in Atlanta. He said that was cost. The June 2000 issue of Petersons off road has these tires in an add for $198.95. I think I got a good deal. I was out the door for 700 and some change and thats for 35's.

9. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I just checked out 4wheelparts.com and they don't even list the new MT/R's yet. I am assuming they were looking at the "old" style Goodyear MT's which list for $154/tire. The MT/R's have a completely different tread pattern, sidewall lugs, and a three ply sidewall (vs. 2 ply on the old MT's).
    I priced the MT/R's at several different places before buying them and $168/tire is a good price.

10. lew

lew Registered Member

Opps!!

Sorry about that I was looking at the MT's not the MTR's.

Have fun.

11. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

6.2blazer, how are they wearing?

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

12. 79 K5

79 K5 Registered Member

I ended up running by the shop the next day and talked to a different guy. He sold them to me for $135/ tire. I paid $15 a piece for mouting and balancing with lifetime rotation, patching, and if they blow on me they'll measure the amount of tread left and give me money back based on how used they are. I'm very happy with them so far. The only thing I'm unhappy with is it looks like I may have been able to stuff 35s under the Blazer with no prob. They're pretty damn aggressive looking and running. I'm not used to having to clean BIG chunks of mud from the undercarraige though :o) That'll come with time.

-Jesse

13. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I didn't think the 33x12.50's were even available yet in the MT/R's......if you got them for $135/piece that is a truly amazing deal as even the old style MT's go for more than that.
    As far as tread wear on the road I really don't know and probably never will. I don't drive it on a daily basis, mostly just to and from the trails but there is usually at least a 200 mile round trip involved, and most of the wear is from off-roading (lot's of spinning and slipping on muddy trails which really chews up tires). I'll probably be lucky to get 2 years out of them while averaging going on a trail ride once per month, which is pretty normal for most tires I have seen on heavy trucks that are used hard mainly off-road.

14. 79 K5

79 K5 Registered Member

Well, I didn't think they had come out with the 35x12.5 yet..lol. I asked the price on them and they said they had no clue because they haven't come out yet. Oh well. Did you read that the MT/Rs were supposed to outlast the older MTs by like... t percent or something? That's part of the reason I bought them. I wanted TSLs (at the same price per tire), but figured these would last a lot longer. Maybe the figures are just from highway use.

15. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The 35x12.50's were the first size out. Goodyear started releasing a few sets to scattered dealers a couple of months ago, and before that they had a few sets out at the Rockcrawling championships and around Moab. The official word I got from Goodyear customer service was that the 35x12.50's were first and then would shortly be followed by the 31x10.50's. When I was looking for a set, I called at least 15 Goodyear dealerships and the 35's were the only ones listed at the time.