Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New guy at the local radio station :(

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jagged, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

I think my favorite local radio station has a new music editor.

In order to get more time for ads and soundbytes, most radio stations shorten songs. They do this by speeding up certain parts of the song or cutting out other parts. 98% of the time you can't even tell the difference. But I think they got a new guy who sucks at his job, I can distinctly hear shifts in the frequency as new songs are played. Bad mojo.

2. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

I think that sucks so hard, no respect for the artist or the listener. In some ways these are dark days for the music biz.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

"mainstream" radio sucks..

Don't get me started on radio,and how they overplay only the songs and artists who the record companies pay them off to play..especially on "country" radio stations..the 2 I listen to have improved slightly,but still play too many songs by Tim Mcgraw,Kenny Chesney,Rascall Flatts,Lonestar,and Keith Urban way too often compared to all the other ones they COULD be playing,but dont,or WONT,because their "music program director" is GOD,and they alone decide who we get to hear,or who is "popular"...

They have finally loosened up a bit,and started to actually play a few of the older,"real" country songs..now that "Walk The Line" is out in theateres,people who request Johnny Cash songs are actually getting to hear them!..before,they would just say "we dont play that older crap"..or "Tune in on sunday morning between 8 and noon,when our "oldies" show is on"..yeah..when all the fans of old country are at church,or in bed hung over, on their only day off..:mad: :surepal:

I've heard Waylon Jennings today during lunch our,singing the "Dukes of Hazzard" song,by request..so maybe satellite radio's gaining popularity is finally making them stop being so selective about who or what they play now..But I also hear them playing "Bon-Jovi" and the Eagles,and even John Cougar Meloncamp on the "country" station too..so the playlists are expanding,but perhaps not in the right direction!..many of todays "country" artists are NOT country..nor do they sound it!..a few aren't even FROM this country!..what happenned to staying with yuor roots?

There are tons of great COUNTRY to the bone artists and songs out there..but they evidently don't want anyone to hear them,for fear they will have to playTHEM,instead of the artists I listed previously,who are quite obviously paying off the stations to play them,they are on SO often...I want to vomit every time I hear their songs coming on AGAIN...:doah:

"Folk",and "Americana" music is virtually unknown here in New England..only those with Sirus or XM know of it..

Only a few low wattage public broadcast stations have that format(and ARE very popular,with those who can listen online,or are lucky enough to be close to the tower,and can pick it up good)...many of the artists I like are listed as "country" or "bluegrass" in the record stores,but are never played on our country stations..they DO get limited airplay on the "folk" stations(which also have a bluegrass format a few nights a week)..too bad I can't hear them!..

I think they are just making "mainstream" radio suck so much to listen too,in hopes of driving more to BUY satellite radio instead,to get away from the repetition,and constant commercials..

I know what you mean about the "speeding up" the records!..did you know they play 45 rpm records at 47 rpms or higher on most stations??..same with LP's and CD's ..they have adjustible speeds on their players.many songs have "shortened" versions--like "Free Bird"and many classic rock songs...all in the name of squeezing in that same boring commercial AGAIN every hour--that everyone IGNORES anyway!..:screwy:

4. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Clear Channel.

Enough said. I've had beef with them before.

5. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

:bow: :bow: :bow:

Like you said!

Fortunately we have old country radio station here, they play the good stuff. If I cant pick them up, its cd time. As for the old rock stations they only have several box sets loaded into a multi disc player and hit random. They sucked so bad years ago that when a disc skipped, it would literally be skipping for an hour or so.

6. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Usually I don't notice a difference unless they play the edited (clean) version of the song instead of the original.

7. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Well of course you won't listening to that boom-shakalaka crap.

8. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Rock of most shapes and sizes my breehay!

And this guy is my favorite dj (www.ricker-live.com), at my favorite station (www.kisw.com). They have rock girls.

9. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Inventor of the pet rock releases a mate for the rock.

10. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

11. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

SATELLITE RADIO,,,, nuff said.

then antenna on my truck isn't even hooked up anymore,,,nothing but satellite radio for me, local broadcasting is too commercialized anymore now days. They play shiotty music, the same stuff over and over, 3-5 songs, then 30 minutes of commercials, straight.

12. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

My thoughts exactly
    Just picked one up for 25 clams at best buy worth every penny. I like hearing music that isn't bleeped out or shortend, no comericals.

13. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Advertising is not actually the reason they speed the records up, it's to be able to play more songs. And it's absolutely unheard of for part of a song to be sped up. It's all or nothing when you play that game, they're not stupid, and they know listeners and the competition are not...

Spots are scheduled by the traffic department in a fairly rigid structure known as "the clock", which changes very infrequently (my first stations clock never changed in 4 years), and the traffic clock is usually unrelated to the music clock. Listen to your local stations commercial breaks. If you're in a major market, the spot clock during the day is probably usually full, so you can actually listen to a few hours and figure out what it is.
    For example, in my first rock radio station, my traffic clock was like this:
    :35 - 4 :60 spots
    :44 - 3 :60 spots
    :55 - 4 :60 spots

This particular clock was to make the station able to say "We play 10 songs in a row" when our competition did not.
    Speeding each record up would allow us to say "We play 11 songs in a row".

Those were also the max number of spots allowed per hour. So let's say there are only 4 spots sold for the 9pm hour on a sunday night. They would take all 4 spots and put them in the :55 break, as this would make the rest of the hour all music.

A Stations spot clock is predetermined (by programming and traffic), and the number of :60 spots they play an hour is usually a "set in stone" limit that the jock can't deviate from, like maybe 12 spots an hour, busier stations maybe 14 an hour, talk stations a lot more. Jocks don't just decide they're going to play commercials, and they're also (usually) not allowed to move around when they play certain commercials (otherwise an advertiser could refuse to pay since he didn't get what he was sold). I think Howard Stern wasn't even allowed to mess with his traffic clock, and he wanted you to think he owned the station for those 4 hours.

Stations don't speed up records to get more spots in, they're going to play the same number of scheduled spots whether they play 1 song or 20 songs an hour.

Rock station programmers are usually purists, and they rarely speed up their records. I've worked a few rock stations in my career, and I've never seen any that speed up records. Hip hop and dance stations are the formats that most often do it. Rock programmers are usually also against content-edited versions of songs, but I've seen this change a lot over the years as artists produce more questionable content that programmers would catch too much heat for playing raw. Sometimes programmers actually just have a little class, too.

Also, it's EXTREMELY rare for a radio station to edit a song themselves unless it's for a bit or something that's not in regular rotation. If you hear an edit, it was most likely sent to them that way by the record company, and it's the stations choice to play a real version or an edit, not to mention it's often a violation of their agreement with the artists unions to edit a songs content without the artists input.
    Playing an edit is usually a programming departments decision, and if it's a shortened version, it's usually to avoid tuning people out for a long time. If someone hates the long version of Stranglehold, that's 8 minutes that person will not be listening to the station (or 8 minutes they'll grumble about it). If the station plays the 5 minute edited version (provided by the record company), then that person will have a better chance at keeping the station on if they flip back to it 6 minutes after stranglehold started, because the station may now be on a song they like, which means they'll stop flipping and the station will not lose them for another 10 minutes or so.

Even if the guy royally sucks at it, you'd have to know every song backwards and forwards and how to play it on an instrument yourself to notice this, not to mention every song has a different tempo anyway, so there's almost always a change in tempo segueing two songs (unless you're talking about dance or hip hop, then a lot of bets are off).
    Unless he's drastically changing the speed throughout the song, or has it speed up more than a few percent, I doubt you're actually hearing any frequency shift in song-to-song segue's. Frequency is a broad term when you're talking about radio, though, so I'm guessing you actually mean pitch.

Another possibility is that if the station uses microwave STL (studio-to-transmitter link), there could be a problem with theirs. Microwave problems often sound like pitch changing or a cd skipping. There could be pigeon crap on their antenna, a new building going up in their path, or an overheated transmitter.

I'd have to guess there are less than 100 commercial stations of the tens of thousands or so in America that do NOT use computer based digital audio playback, which means the jock is probably not pitching vinyl or cd's on the air. I've seen instances where guys can't GIVE away new/unopened equipment like CD players and cart (tape) decks.
    I know certain company's have the music recorded in digital format centrally, then sent to their stations, so there's not even a local guy recording the songs into the system that plays them (they can, but most programmers opt to use the centrally recorded ones for the quality control and convenience). If there's a local guy putting them in the system, then maybe he's being sloppy, but I still think it's unlikely that he'd be so sloppy as to change the pitch while he's putting the song in. If he did, you'd hear it every time they played that particular song, which means you can call them and tell them, and they can correct it.
    Who knows, though, when computer based playback was in it's infancy and we put our own library into the system, we had to redo half of it a month later because a cd player we used to record it in was improperly phased, which meant anyone listening on a mono radio couldn't hear the singing... We were a karaoke station on mono radios... :rotfl:

Also, they can change the songs speed without noticably changing the audio pitch, when I was a producer, I'd done it to correct long or short commercials to :60. That was possible 15 years ago using filtered tape, in computer-based digital now, it's a million times cleaner. You'd be surprised how deceived you can be by technology...

Then again, I've always worked in major markets, where if you slipped on quality, there were 20 people waiting in line to take your job. Needless to say, quality was often pretty well maintained. I don't know how major market Witchita is, I don't think I've ever seen it in the top 50.
    Anyway...if you're hearing something amiss, you should call them, they may not even be aware of a problem, and if a listener calls to tell them, believe me, they'll find it and fix it quick.

So that's my perception on it and radio in not so much of a nutshell. I've been out of direct programming for a few years (but may be getting bck into it soon), but still very much in touch with it through friends and some interests still in the industry, so I dont think my info is far off.

As far as satellite, my money's leaning on XM now... I wouldn't be that surprised to see Sirius bankrupt or bought and shut down in a few years. Or a lot of drama when a third party enters the tracking/rating/auditing biz for satellite radio... :whistle: :whistle:

14. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

wow, an average looking girl in a short black dress posing like a slut. makes me wanna listen to the radio. :screwy:

15. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

That's one of their better ones this year. Kind of lame compared to past years. They post new pictures every day, but they arent' really worth the time. Just the fact that they consistently employ models for events and photo shoots pleases me.