Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New guy! Could use some advice

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MousePowrd, May 7, 2003.

1. MousePowrd

MousePowrd 1/2 ton status

I think I am in heaven. A forum dedicated to my gen K5. This site rules.

Tomorrow I am picking up a 91 K5 Blazer. This will be my 2nd K5, I had an 88 for three years, should have kept it. Oh well. I want to do two things off the bat: get new tires and a new exhaust
    I am undecided on tire size. My other Blazer had 32's, which performed well, but I am interested in 33 or 35" BFG Mud Terrains. Opinions on these tires would be appreciated. Also while I am fairly mechanically inclined, I have never installed a lift kit before. I assume I would need one for the 35's, but how about the 33's? How much trouble am I going to get into trying to do a lift kit on my own?

On the exhaust side, I want to ditch the AIR and possibly the cat, or get a high flow cat. Recommendations on a single exhaust from headers to tailpipe would be very much appreciated. Thanks
    Bob

2. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

First off I would like to welcome you to the best damn GM message board on the net /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. There are some great people here! On to your questions, The BFG's from everything I have read about them are some pretty good damn tires, there are quite a few members running them. On the size and lift. Try this link >>> K5 tire fitment guide . I hope this helped you, I will leave the exhaust to someone with more experience.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Welcome.

As for tires. If you think you want 35's buy 35's. If you get 33's you will just want 35's and be mad at yourself for not getting 35's. 33's usually don't need a lift kit.

I am currently running 35" BFG MT's on about 3" of lift. I had to trim my front fenders in order to get them to fit inside the fenderwells on flexing. It still looks pretty stock though.

BFG makes good tires. I currently own 2 sets of BFG's. I own a set of 32" AT's and also a set of 35" MT's. The 32's are street tires and the 35's are offroad tires.

In Michigan I imagine you deal with a fair amount of mud. I would definitly lean toward the BFG MT's or the Goodyear MTR's. Both are great tires.

4. MousePowrd

Thanks for replies. How much of a PIA am I looking at when it comes to installing a lift kit? Can it be done alone?

5. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

it can be done alone.....i did my first one recently by myself. Lots of fun!! Just be safe and make sure the vehicle is very stable on jackstands.

6. blaz90in

blaz90in Registered Member

hey...im from michigan also(flint area)have you ever been to the mounds? check out facefullofmud.com its a club in the thumb area.
    ERic

7. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

Exhaust wise, you would do good with Edelbrock or Doug Thorley headers. Keep a cat convertor on their so you don't run into any problems staying legal. I just installed a Catco high flow convertor on my '87. It is a direct replacement. I also installed the Flowmaster 3" single exhaust kit for our K5s. I am very happy with it and it is all bolt on and easy do it yourselfer. I had the old style flat convertor on mine, but you might have the smaller round style that I have been told flows well already as far as convertors go. I got all of my system from www.summitracing.com. Not real expensive either. The 3" system is less than $200 and it comes with the 50 series SUV muffler and all the tailpipe. You do not need to supply anything but time and very few tools.

8. MousePowrd

[ QUOTE ]
    hey...im from michigan also(flint area)have you ever been to the mounds? check out facefullofmud.com its a club in the thumb area.
    ERic

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I only took my other K5 off road once. This one will be different. Where are the Mounds?

Jakeslim how long did it take to install the lift, and how big was yours?

9. MousePowrd

I was thinking about the Edelbrock ones because they use the factory Y pipe, correct? So I should not have to mess with the O2 sensor then, correct?

How do the Doug Thorley headers fit? Would I have to run duals with that setup?

Thanks again for the replies

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

BFG MT's fawking rock the house.....

As for your tire fitment issues, do a search and input "33's on stock suspension," it will yield you some answers to your questions.

11. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I was thinking about the Edelbrock ones because they use the factory Y pipe, correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

no, edelbrocks come with a replacement y-pipe. atleast mine did...

[ QUOTE ]
    So I should not have to mess with the O2 sensor then, correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

my edels have a o2 sensor port on them, but it isnt needed on my rig so I just plugged hole with an old toast 02 sensor a shop had layin around. I dunno if your 91 has O2 sensors from the factory, but if so, depending on where u live, it might be a good idea to keep em. Always wise to stay legal.

j

13. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If you get Edelbrock headers I think you will have to get the whole TES system. The TES system comes with its own Y pipe. It flows a lot better than the stock Y Pipe. It is a direct bolt on with no modifications needed and everything fits good.
    I dont believe Edelbrock sells just the shorty headers alone for 87-91 Blazers.I tried to buy them but ended up getting the TES system. I like it. after 3 years it still looks and is holding up good, and have had no leaks.
    For exhaust I an running a flowmaster single 3" system.
    I run 33" tires with no lift.
    If you get 33" tires with out a lift you should mount them on 8" wheels. They will rub if you mount them on 10" wheels.
    You may have to trim a little off the inner rear of the front fenders. They sometimes rub there when you flex a lot. But it is a very minor trim job. Cant even tell it has been done.

14. blaz90in

blaz90in Registered Member

The mounds are in the flint/Mt Morris area...lots of mud,some sand pits and some hills..pretty decent place to go mess around for a day,check out facefullofmud.com and look under trail pics..lotsa pics form the mounds on that site.
    Eric

15. MousePowrd

[ QUOTE ]
    If you get Edelbrock headers I think you will have to get the whole TES system. The TES system comes with its own Y pipe. It flows a lot better than the stock Y Pipe. It is a direct bolt on with no modifications needed and everything fits good.
    I dont believe Edelbrock sells just the shorty headers alone for 87-91 Blazers.I tried to buy them but ended up getting the TES system. I like it. after 3 years it still looks and is holding up good, and have had no leaks.
    For exhaust I an running a flowmaster single 3" system.
    I run 33" tires with no lift.
    If you get 33" tires with out a lift you should mount them on 8" wheels. They will rub if you mount them on 10" wheels.
    You may have to trim a little off the inner rear of the front fenders. They sometimes rub there when you flex a lot. But it is a very minor trim job. Cant even tell it has been done.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am 99% sure this is what I want. Just to clarify, what all does the TES system include? Headers and Y pipe only? Cat also? Thanks

16. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

no cat with the edel TES. Just the headers, y-pipe, and the hardware to bolt everything up + a hose or two for various emmisions crap.

j

17. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Welcome to CK5. Alot of people are running the BFG Mud Terrains and seam to really like them. I think you'll be happier with 35's. Go 6" lift. You could go 4" lift and trim the fenders, but I don't know alot of people who want to chop up the fenders on a vechile they just bought unless they're a hardcore rock crawler. With the 6" lift, you'll need to have your driveshafts lenghtend (My spelling really sucks) I'd recomened calling ORD and have them put together a complete "Kit" with everything you'll need. Thier Shackle flip is really slick, I have it myself, now if I could just get around to installing it. Exhaust, IMPO, you can't do better then the Doug Thorley TRI-Y headers. Summit carries hi-flo cats , but if you don't have any inspections to worry about, then I'd just dump the damn thing. For a single exhaust system, I see alot of members going 3" and really like it. I personally run dual exhaust.

18. MousePowrd

Thanks for the input. Last night I finally decided to do with Dynomax ceramic headers and their dual exhaust all the way back. I figure it better fit with one manufacturer all the way. I also got a Jegs collector with the O2 sensor bung in it, hope that works ok