Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

new guy here...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5-newbie, Jun 21, 2004.

1. k5-newbie

k5-newbie 1/2 ton status

Hey all, been a member for a few days and been reading posts to try to get familiar with the site and the people here and I must say, there is a wealth of knowledge and good community vibe here. I just bought an '82 K5 about a month ago and am loving it so far even though its not much to look at for now.

I do have a question about the ak-57 suspension kit...has anyone used it and would you recommend the kit? I am thinking of getting into crawling in the near future and only want to build the truck once. ( I usually build a vehicle 3 or 4 times before i get what I want /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif).

And again, i look forward to becoming an active part of the community here.

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

From the people that I have heard that use it, it flexes really well. If you have the money, sure get it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

opps, and welcome to Ck5 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Fill out your profile so everyone knows where you live (so if they have parts you want) and the specs on your truck's drivetrain, even if it's stock /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. k5-newbie

k5-newbie 1/2 ton status

Thanks 84gmcjimmy, I have updated my profile /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Good job, do you have any plans for the truck, besides the suspension?

6. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

There is a lot of members here that swear by it. It is a good kit from what I saw of it when I was in Moab. You will have to run some kind of an anti-wrap set up or you will be replacing the springs quite often though, so make sure that you factor this into the cost when looking at the pricing. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Oh and welcome to CK5 brother /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. k5-newbie

k5-newbie 1/2 ton status

yeah, looking for a vortec 350, I have located a dana 60 front and a 14 bolt rear (matching set), just haven't bought them yet. I have some friends who got me into this, but they all drive toyotas, so not much help to me on my blazer or what they refer to it as my "fat truck". I always liked the K5 so I bought it. I was looking into a 4 inch lift with 35's and just cut the fenders to keep my center of gravity low. thats about it for now. I will post a link to some pics tonight.

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Sounds good. What are you going to do about tire type? If you do go with the ak-57 make sure you get an anti-wrap bar so they don't bend under acceleration /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. k5-newbie

k5-newbie 1/2 ton status

Just checked the price of their anti wrap bar and its more than the ak-57 kit. Wasn't expecting that, but may be something to plan for.

Oh and im not sure which tire I want to run...like I said, i'm new to this whole 4X4 thing, I've been building and racing Mustangs since '94, so this is a huge difference in lingo and application. But I love a challenge.

10. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Sounds like your on the right track with the 14bff and the d60 thats for sure. You'll find that the low lift, big tire, fender hacking set up is pretty hot around here.

I personally run 2" of lift with 36's and love it. My center of gravity is very low and I feel very stable on sidehills and other offcamber situations. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Yeah there anti-wrap is expensive, if you live near a 4x4 shop they could probably fab one for you /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

With tires for rocks (like you said you were aiming for) alot of people are using goodyear's MT/r's or interco's IROK's /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Did you try a search for posts about it. The best success I've had with searching is to use the quotes. Also make sure to set the time frame, the default is 1 week.

So I would type "ak-57" with the quotes.

Just a little tip on searching.

13. k5-newbie

k5-newbie 1/2 ton status

thanks for the help

14. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I was looking into a 4 inch lift with 35's and just cut the fenders to keep my center of gravity low. thats about it for now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Go with 38's minimum otherwise that 14FF will hang up on every little pebble to try to run over. I'd personally go with 42's if youre gonna run D60/14FF. Your idea of keeping your center of gravity low is great, just trim, trim, trim the fenders to fit the tires. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

15. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Huntsville......you ain't no convict is ya!! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

16. k5-newbie

k5-newbie 1/2 ton status

hehe...no not a convict but I live in the middle of about 7 units around town. It's really quite safe if you think about it...if a prisoner escapes, he doesn't want to hang around here /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    http://158.135.21.82/web/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=thumbnails&album=7
    oh BTW, here is a link to some pics of the /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif now remember, I have had it for less than a month, so don't expect a lot.

I went to college here and then just stayed after graduation, so thats my story