Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New guy - In Cab Winch Control

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1984Stepside, Apr 24, 2007.

1. 1984Stepside

1984Stepside Registered Member

Hey guys, I'm new to ck5. I just got my truck back here at school, and hunterguy86 told me about ck5. We have only had it back a few days, but we have done some minor mods to it so far.

A pic of the truck, before the 4 1/2 hour drive from East Texas, back to San Marcos.
    (1984 K10 SWB Stepside, 350/sm465/np208 10bolts, 3.73 gears, Gov-Loc, WARN 8274, 3in Body Lift, 33x12.50x15's)

[​IMG]

Here is a few pics of the install of a In-Cab Winch control for my 8274 Warn.

This is where we ran the wires to the cab. The camera died, so no pics of the actual winch right now.

[​IMG]

These are the two holes that we drilled to mount the switches to. One switch is the override, which has a guard over it. The other is a three position mometary, for in and out.

[​IMG]

The wiring before I put the switches in.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Control switches installed, before the paint.

[​IMG]

I decided to put "Plan B" on the override guard, since, if I get stuck, "Plan B" will be pulling winch cable.

[​IMG]

Couple shots of the switches, with the guard painted, installed. Also, the case of Keystone Light is painted onto the dash, it's not just a reflection. ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also, we installed a tach on that bad boy. Here's a couple of pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Great site guys, and I'll be looking forward to installing the lift and posting pics.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2007
  2. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

4 1/2 hour drive and the truck rides like a dream. Muds good too. This truck is in excellent shape and will only be getting better!

3. TexasBlazerBoy

TexasBlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

Looks great, welcome to CK5:D

4. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

I some how lost my winch controller and figured it would be a good time to wire up an in-cab controller. I know there's a good write up somewhere where they do it in an XJ I do believe. What do you think about drawing up a wiring diagram of how you did yours? I also have an 8274.

5. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

aww man! we got to get together and fling some mud!

6. smalltowncowboy

smalltowncowboy 1/2 ton status

nice truck, i always liked the stepsides. liked them so much i have 2 of um.

theres a company here in oregon im going to order my in cab wiring from for my winch. http://www.offroadcontrols.com/

[​IMG]

heres mine.

[​IMG]

7. Elevator Man

Elevator Man 1/2 ton status

I thought I was the only CK5er that drinks tha Stones and works on my rig!:D :D :D

8. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

Great Setup! You might want to put a bushing around the wire where you ran it through the firewall - it looks like it will rub through and short out eventually.

9. 1984Stepside

1984Stepside Registered Member

Here is the basic breakdown of how my wiring works:

Not my winch in the pic, but it gets the point across.

Not sure what changed through the years on the 8274, but mine is a 1980 model, if yours is newer it may be a little diffrent. (Control plug on the side of the solenoid pack, rather than the front)

[​IMG]

Once you know which point on the solenoid does what, the wiring part is easy. However, this is what my switch setup looks like.

[​IMG]

Basically, I put an On/Off switch on the 12v line, and that is the one that got the guard. Then the 12v hooks to the three position momentary, along with the power in and power out.

Also, you may want to put some type of in-line fuse on the 12v line, since that side bar of your solenoid pack is directly connected to your battery.

Here are a couple more detailed rebulids/diagrams of the 8274:
    http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/winch.html
    http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/8274/

Enjoy!

10. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

In cab winch controls certainly come in handy, I love mine, even though i've only used it once :doah:

[​IMG]

I bought mine (custom made with OBA switch) from http://www.12voltguy.com

11. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

Something is apparently wrong with my truck! What is the gauge on the right? Mine is always between the E and the 1/2 mark. How do you get it that to stay that high:D :wink1:
    [​IMG]