Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

New Guy Needs Some Advice

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ffisher89k, Jun 20, 2004.

1. ffisher89k

ffisher89k Newbie

Hey everyone! I'm Mat, I'm from Northern Alberta, I just joined. Great site here!

I have some advice to ask of you all offroadin experts:

I just bought a fully restored 1989 K5 Silverado. The drivetrain, exterior, suspension, brakes and interior have been totally been restored. However, the powertrain (Motor, tranny) needs work. Suspension is stock, but it came with a nice set of painted flairs, Amer. Racing wheels and 4 almost new BF Goodwrench "All Terrain TA"'s (33x12.50 RT 15's).

I know, I know...its not the hardcore units you guys run, but you know what? Damn it looks good and is a blast to cruise around town in. Plus I guarantee that its gonna see the mud and some light duty trail work in and out of my favorite flyfishing holes. So even in its present state, its capabilities gotta be 20 times that of my 2003 S10 ZR2.

As you may have gathered, my mechanical expertise is real limited. So I figured that a motor and tranny replacement would be a great way to get my hands dirty and learn a bunch. A friend of mine is a mechanic and will be helping me out with this.

Now my question:

I'm planning on replacing the motor with a crate GM parts L05 (for simplicity and cost) but I want a bit more power without sacrificing my mileage. The existing motor has a set of headers and dual exhaust, which I'm gonna put on the new engine, but what else could I find and easily bolts on for some better performance? As well, what else would you folks recommend as being essential to improve or replace on the truck for my light duty trail work?

Feel free to spin any suggestions you can off handedly think about my way.

Thanks a ton

Mat

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

step 1 should be filling out your profile so people have a little more info about your rig. For example, what engine/tranny/tcase is in your rig now? I'd guess a 350, but I dunno. Anyway, IMO without spending lots of $ its hard to get good perf increases IMO. If I was you, I'd consider getting a 383 instead of the 350. It'll give ya way better low end power and the gas mileage difference is probably not significant.

not sure what to tell ya with respect to increasing your rigs trailworthy-ness... if I was you I'd just go balls to the wall and swap in a ff14b rear axle (they are cheap!), do a shackle flip and a low (4" or so) spring lift in the front... but then I tend to wanna build a rig to wheel on and not so much a to-the-fishing-hole type of truck. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

3. ffisher89k

ffisher89k Newbie

Thanks for the quick response,

At present: Stock motor, Tranny, Tcase (350, 4-speed auto, etc..). Except fot the headers its "bone stock" /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I'll fill out my profile a bit more in a day or two.

Thanks a ton!

Mat

P.S: For the momment, lets talk about reasonable $$$, but I'm prepared to throw a bit of money at this thing

P.P.S: Where could I pick up a full skidplate?

4. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

For the sake of good fuel mileage I would leave the automatic overdrive I assume your truck has. 700R4? Make sure and get a good rebuild done as the 700R4's do have their weaknesses. A good search here will tell you what they are. Or if you have the money, buy a good aftermarket tranny like from TCI. The 700R4 also has a good low first gear for an automatic.

5. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Stock running gear in it now should be 350/700R4/NP241C with 30 spline 10 bolts. If the tranny operates correctly I'd leave it alone besides a good cooler, and a filter and fluid change (I'm anal about repalcing stuff when I buy it to establish a maintenace schedule /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif) The 241 is a good T-case 2.72:1 low range. It has a slip yoke which is the weak link, but the upgrade is a bit spendy, and not really necessary for mild wheeling. The 30 spline 10 bolts are ok up to about a 35, but the rears can be unpredictable...I blew one up with 265's /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif A 14BFF would be a good cheap upgrade the only downside is new wheels and loss of clearance, but you'll prolly never break it ever /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif I would get a 383 too if you are gonna spend the money for a crate then get a good one (you don't want to replace it in 18 months cause you want more /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif)

Welcome to CK5, and be careful the Blazer bug will bite and it can be dangerous /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]

I just bought a fully restored 1989 K5 Silverado. The drivetrain, exterior, suspension, brakes and interior have been totally been restored. However, the powertrain (Motor, tranny) needs work. Suspension is stock, but it came with a nice set of painted flairs, Amer. Racing wheels and 4 almost new BF Goodwrench "All Terrain TA"'s (33x12.50 RT 15's).

I know, I know...its not the hardcore units you guys run, but you know what? Damn it looks good and is a blast to cruise around town in. Plus I guarantee that its gonna see the mud and some light duty trail work in and out of my favorite flyfishing holes. So even in its present state, its capabilities gotta be 20 times that of my 2003 S10 ZR2.

[/ QUOTE ] First off welcome to CK5! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    A fully restored K5 is a great find man! To be honest I wouldn't mess much with it if someone has spent the time and money to clean it up and bring it back to original condition, you have a classic there IMHO....

Not all of us are hardcore wheelers and you will find there are a lot of different goals here at CK5....the majority are wheelers, a few looking to restore, and some just looking to keep their K5's running for DD use. I am in the process of restoring my K5, I have already completely replaced the drivetrain with beefier components but now want to completely cherry it out!

I can't stress enough to you that you will open a huge can of worms if you get into major modifications. I remember when I was 15 and got my blazer, I had $1,300 in my savings after the purchase and had it figured how I was going to lift it, wheels/tires, paint, interior, stereo. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif
    I was very ignorant and didn't see all the problems that were ahead and could only see the fun part, it all working together right. I have spent nearly $20,000 on my K5 and it still isn't painted and the interior is yet to be redone.
    Every mod you do opens up new issues....you are only as strong as your weakest link....when you replace the weakest part then that makes something else the waekest part and it is a very expensive domino effect until you have just about completely replaced everything. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

If you had a rusted out or worn out K5 like some of these guys had to start with than I would say, "break a leg" and wheel the crap out of it hardcore style but it sounds like that is a very nice K5! /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

If it was me I would add a 4" lift to it(BDS suspension) and leave the current tires on it. Buy a crate motor and swap in a smog legal/computer friendly camshaft and a nice legal aluminum intake. That would probaly give you another 40-50 HP over stock and would be a nice motor. 383's are expensive to build because of all the machining and you sound like you don't want to spend a lot of cash. Run the th700R4 until it blows, then have it built by a reputable shop with some upgrades and you would be good to go. Don't swap out that tranny, I can attest to a built 700's strength. Mine hasn't skipped a beat behind my built 406.

Regardless what people say that would be a pretty capable, good looking, and reliable K5. Sorry if I sound naggish but I hate seeing nice cherried K5's get turned into junk because they are far and few and there are plenty of worn out/beat ones available to wheel. Bottom line it's up to you if you want to have something nice or something that isn't so nice but can go through the Rubican. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif